PDA

View Full Version : weld-on alternatives

ransomed4ever
10/10/2008, 08:54 PM
Is there any type of adhesive that works on acrylic other than wels-on? It would be a lot nicer to just run to the hardware store than to have to order something online than have to wait for it to arrive.

ransomed4ever
10/10/2008, 08:56 PM
the above should read "weld-on", not "wels-on".

not_sponsored
10/11/2008, 02:08 AM
Not much.

lth03
10/11/2008, 09:29 AM
So far only weld-on is the reliable glue for acrylic and the really last.You can try something else but it is not worth the effort,you really don't want any leakage from your aquarium to make your other half upset.....;)

reign
10/11/2008, 10:22 AM
Weld on is the easiest acrylic bonding adhesive to use..It is cheap effective and affordable..
If you look up your local plastic/acrylic supplier you wll no doubt find all weldons there: #3,4,16,40..SO yes you can go to the local store it will just be the plastic store instead of the hardware store!!
BTW they usually have all bonding supplies as well :needle applicator,bending heat cord,polishing wheels,rouge. etc...

sfsuphysics
10/11/2008, 12:29 PM
I've used superglue for acrylic ledges in the back of a tank, but I wouldn't trust it for much in the way of strength.

reign
10/11/2008, 05:04 PM
that will work for about 5 seconds under stress...
Hey anyone know of a supplier for methylene chloride?(JK that stuff could kill ya)

BeanAnimal
10/11/2008, 06:16 PM
Some people do do mix their own acrylic cements to get their own drying and strength properties, but it is not worth it for a small job or two. The WO comes in many different formulas (#3, #4, #16) that fit most needs.

reign
10/11/2008, 09:42 PM
yea I know I have a few guys here that do mix their own..The adhesives are pretty strong stuff..usually you should have a ventilator to work w/ these materials..
Bean: weldons there: #3,4,16,40..SO yes you can go to the local store it will just be the plastic store instead of the hardware store!!

BeanAnimal
10/11/2008, 09:53 PM
reign, I left the #40 off the list becasuse it is a 2-part cement, not a single part solvent cement. The 3, 4 and 16 are the most common. Most plastic shops will have 3 and maybe 16. Most local plastic and sign shops will not sell materials to the public. I haev an account with Total Plastics here in pittsburgh, but I had to use my retail tax license and ein number.

reign
10/11/2008, 11:18 PM
Well I guess we are lucky here 3 out of the 5 plactic supply and fab shops here sell directly to the public...IF they dont have 4 or 16 (out of stock) they will order it for people..I wonder if maybe state to state laws determine this or if it is just their preference..We have a custom plastic shop here that stocks almost all of the acrylic working supplies. I think maybe they sell here because I remember a rep telling me the distributor or maufacturer is based out of here(city), could be they are more lenient..I have my own tax lic and ein ..they usually dont ask for it unless I dont want to pay state tax.

reign
10/11/2008, 11:21 PM
BTW bean your skimmer is nice and your box is full!!

BeanAnimal
10/11/2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks reign! Yeah the box is always full.... you can email me at gmail if you need anything. I will leave it to you to figure out what the address is :)

ransomed4ever
10/12/2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the info. Since the nearest plastic supply store is 45 minutes away I just went ahead and ordered the stuff online. Sometimes living in the middle of cornfields has its dissadvantages. Just one more thing to add to the list of things in this hobby that takes patience.

areze
10/12/2008, 06:45 AM
dont be too upset, Im in atlanta, and the only source of weldon is MRC, who doesnt REALLY sell it, he just has it for his own operations and will sell it to hobbyists in a pinch.

it really is not well distributed at all, but then again, how many people need that sort of thing?