PDA

View Full Version : Vortec question

cruzin94066
10/11/2008, 03:05 PM
Hi I wanted to get peoples opinion.
I have a 90gallon reef ready tank by Oceanic with dual mega flows powered by a mag 12. I am currently running two Koralia 3 pumps and now I want to change to the Vortec. I want to get two of them one for each back corner. Is this ok. I am doing this because I want to have a battery back up just in case the power dies and the Vortec is the only one that provides one that I can hide without taking too much room.

Is this two much flow for a 90 gallon tank that is starting to be filled with SPS and LPS? I have tangs and wrasses as the fishes.
Thanks

gulfstream
10/11/2008, 04:36 PM
that will be just enough flow for your tank,depending on position
and direction of flow,With having SPS and LPS it will promote growth on your SPS and adequate flow for your LPS......
I ve seen a 125g tank with 4 Vortechs and it seemed it had a very nice flow to it......
also know that vortech pumps can be controlled to make waves
just like a wave box.......provided you get the controllers.
cheers.

reef2
10/11/2008, 04:44 PM
gulfstream- the controllers come with the pump.

cruzin- 2 should work just fine. if they r to much flow u can dial them down.

nikon187
10/11/2008, 07:30 PM
anyone know if you can still get a wave by placing them on the back wall rather than the sides facing at each other? I have been entertaining the idea of swithing out my K3's as well.

customcolor
10/11/2008, 07:45 PM
you dont want a wave pounding frount to back. it may tip your tank over cuz its narrower front to back then it is wide.
a person in out club has a 90 and one vortech with sps. i do beleave his tank is doing great.

will16
10/11/2008, 08:40 PM
1 vortech in a 90 is ok but you really have to crank it to get the opposite side going well. 2 work much much better. I have 2 in my 90 and love it. Don't think you can get a wave going with the pumps on the back wall. With one on each side, works well.

Also, even though the battery back up will run the pumps for about 15 hours. They run greatly reduced. If they are not close enough to the surface, they may not create enough surface agitation for O2 transfer. Someone recently posted after last hurricane in TX that even with 2 vortechs on the battery backup, his tank died.

Here is a video of 2 vortechs creating waves in my 90

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/willgtp/?action=view&current=P1000662MOV-1.flv

nikon187
10/11/2008, 11:14 PM
i have seen a vortec on many backs of tanks and i dont think there is any physical possibility that is could tip your tank over. We are talking about over 1000lbs with water and tank

Hop
10/11/2008, 11:22 PM
If you are running BB, then no worries. if you have a SB then putting them on the back is going to minimize the pumps ability IMO on a tank that narrow. it's a little different on tanks 30" or more front to back. My tank is 25.5" front to back and I would have to throttle my vortec back over 50% to keep the sand in place;)

joeycadre
10/12/2008, 12:25 AM
go tunze.