PDA

View Full Version : blonde nasos long-term sucess?

mdrc
10/11/2008, 09:46 PM
i had one a while back and it did ok, just grazed , never ate brine or mysis. it dies a while back after haveing it for 5 months. i've heard a bunch of stories like this and was wondering if anybody has one that they've had for over a year?

Thanks

mflamb
10/11/2008, 10:32 PM
My last Blonde Naso lived in 2 different reef tanks for a total of 8 years.
I've got another one in QT.

mdrc
10/11/2008, 11:07 PM
did it eat prepared food?

BangkokMatt
10/11/2008, 11:32 PM
Mdrc - I've never kept one but my understanding is they are pretty hardy and many people keep them long term if they are housed in appropriately sized tanks with good water quality. What is your set up?

agreeive?fish
10/12/2008, 07:15 AM
mine never made it out of the lfs qt tank..he would not let it leave the store until it was eating something besides calarepa(sp?) and it never did..always looked fat and active then one day it just died.. and that is the only time i have ever paid for a fish that never made it to my display tank

JamesJR
10/12/2008, 09:25 AM
I've never owned one but I would like to comment on my experience with them when I was working fish retail. My experience is that smaller specimens (2 inches) can be especially sensitive to the rigors of transport. They also have very high metabolisms and need to be fed heavily. I would quarantine mine and possibly treat them for internal parasites before putting them in the main tank.

twon8
10/12/2008, 09:36 AM
ive had one in a 180 for a few years now, about 7" now. it really prefers greens and is one of the most herbivorous tangs i have kept. It doesn't eat much mysis or bloodworms, just nori.

mdrc
10/12/2008, 09:36 AM
when i had mine it was in my 150, but i know their a hardy fish but what i have (and a couple of my co-workers) exsperienced is that their not aggressiveeaters and just graze and then one day starve and die

mflamb
10/12/2008, 02:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13530103#post13530103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdrc
did it eat prepared food? Formula 1 and 2 flakes and pellets, mysis, Rods, Nori, refugium grown culerpa, bubble algae, anything that I threw in the tank.

dones20
10/12/2008, 08:52 PM
ive had my blonde nao for 4-5 yrs now n the past i did come across a few that never excepted any preped foods and after a few months would parish but all in all they are pretty hardy fish

mgny
10/13/2008, 11:29 AM
Had one for many years. Lost it a few years ago. It kept my valonia under control and ate mysis and other meaty foods. havebeen battling valonia ever since.Had the lfs bring me one in about 3 weeks ago. A 6 inch beauty, streamers just forming. It began to eat the valonia immediately but would not eat anything else. A week ago he started looking thinner, he could not find any other valonia. I know these fish can go downhill fast so i have been harvesting what ever valonia i could find in the system and hand feeding it to him just to keep him going. Just decided to try some mysis again since he perked up pretty good this morn and sure as shi#### he ate a bunch of it. Not out of the woods yet but liking his chances a little better. Anyone who has tried to nurse a fish back to health knows it can be a pita but if you succeed the satisfaction is awesome! Will keep you posted. Mike

Untamed12
10/13/2008, 12:06 PM
2 years so far....Mine prefers Nori and tends to swallow large sections at a time. (not a nibbler...) Also likes Formula 1 and 2 pellets. He does not eat any of my fresh/frozen seafoods (squid, octopus, shrimp, or clam). He does eat mysis, though.