PDA

View Full Version : wet dry

chesapeake
10/11/2008, 10:08 PM
If anyone has a wet dry I am lookjing for ideas so if anyones got some pics please share looking for the best way to section off the wetdry to get the best filtration.

Michael
10/12/2008, 01:43 AM
ive owned a wet/dry, it didnt work for me and i shut it down, if you are keeping just fish and have no intention of keeping a reef then they can be useful, if you do get 1 i found the best media was rock and nothing else, you might decide otherwise and well if your intending to use it on your 120 in wall reef id suggest you dont, if its for your new 125 fish only then good luck, as for the best way to section of the wet/dry i had the water from the tank trickling through the rock in the top section, i then left the section under that empty, then the bottom section i had more rock, if you can use plastic trays with lots of holes in, which stack on top of each other, its easy to just pull them out to clean the bottom of the sump from the debris which will get in there, good luck

redfishsc
10/12/2008, 06:09 AM
Wet/dry's have a few traits that make them slightly less desirable for reef tanks. The bio-media tends to trap a lot of organic compounds that later break down and leave you with nitrates. If you have around a pound of good LR per gallon, you won't need the biomedia.

That, and some of them are just plain noisy and cause a lot of evaporation of they get much air flow.

Most folks remove the bio-media and religiously clean the mechanical filter pads.

chesapeake
10/12/2008, 07:00 AM
I have always used a sump in my reef but i just keep the proteinskimmer and liverock and the ph probes as well as heater this keep things out of the main tank but the new 125 I was going to turn the sump into more of a filter combination refuge with a section for a deep sandbed and live rock.just not sure how to lay it out.