PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help my BRAIN

medic29
10/12/2008, 07:10 PM
:eek1: I was hoping I got some attention, although many that know me would probably just say "I knew that!":lol:

Anyway, I have an open brain that I've had to a while now and it is having some sort of problem that has me very concerned, especially after moving it tonight. It had a problem probably about a year ago when my clowns decided to host in it just before I got my anenome, in addition I think my foxface and angle I had at the time was nipping at it.

Recently I noted a spot on it that didn't look right and I felt I could see the skeleton. I thought it was starting to get better, but I thought it best to get moved back onto the sand bed in an area where it would have some room.

The last couple of days I noted that it wasn't as big as it had been so I decided to move it up out of the sand bed just a little bit. When I moved it I noticed that some of its flesh was hanging off of it and some of the skeleton is exposed and I noticed that the flesh is off of the bottom in the same area.

Below are some pictures to help you see what is going on with the coral. If more pictures are needed or other views, let me know.
http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain.jpg

http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain1.jpg

http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain2.jpg

http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain3.jpg

http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain4.jpg

http://www.rrogers.us/images/brain5.jpg

I don't know what to do for this coral. I want to save it, but I need some good advice. It may be too late; I hope not because I really like this coral.

medic29
10/13/2008, 09:03 AM
No One??

splateee
10/13/2008, 09:24 AM
My brain did that when i moved tanks, it eventually died due to improper lighting and tank water params.

Do you feed it? How is the flow and lighting? Depending on how big it is you can take a 2 litre soda bottle cut it in half and use that to cover it, this will protect it if some thing is nipping at it. I would feed our brain formula 1 small size pellets and it would open up and eat tham, it got real big.

wrott
10/13/2008, 09:26 AM
I don't think it's too late; however, I believe it needs to be moved out of the tank it's in now--w/ the nipping/hosting.
I've seen mine recover from exposed skelton/bacterial infection, and I have lost one (Trachyphyllia radiata) due to clown hosting.
Even after it gets a suitable home, it will take several days for it to puff out--feed it frozen mysis when you can see a mouth or tentacles.

medic29
10/13/2008, 09:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13536832#post13536832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrott
I don't think it's too late; however, I believe it needs to be moved out of the tank it's in now--w/ the nipping/hosting.
I've seen mine recover from exposed skelton/bacterial infection, and I have lost one (Trachyphyllia radiata) due to clown hosting.
Even after it gets a suitable home, it will take several days for it to puff out--feed it frozen mysis when you can see a mouth or tentacles.

Just for clarification...none of the fish are nipping at it or trying to host in it, they were doing this about 8 months or more ago just prior to my getting my anenome. Since that time the clowns only go to their anenome. The angel and foxface have been removed from the system...probably 3 months ago.

How much flow do this need?

Does it need more flow to help remove the dead tissue?

Should I allow the cleanup crew to come in and eat the dead tissue or would this be bad as they might eat the coral period?

Thanks!!!

wrott
10/13/2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I can't think of a good reason then for its demise.
Are your other corals doing well?
Medium flow should suffice, but it should be able to take all flow options--they are generally very hardy.
Perhaps an iodine/coral dip?
The one I have now looked terrible in my friends tank (poor water quality/husbandry), but has looked good in my tank ever since a year ago. I'm not suggesting the same reasons for yours, but a few large WCs may help--I hope.
And yeah worms will eat the dead tissue anyway, but if possible I would try to keep hermits off.

medic29
10/13/2008, 10:17 AM
I'm planning an iodine dip tonight when I get home. Other corals are doing great as are the anenomes, fish, and inverts. I'm planning on cutting a large plastic jar in half and covering the brain with it. I guess I'll put some holes in the sides so that it can get some flow.

Would the clear plastic jar be better than say a box made out of egg crate? I used egg crate in the past.

medic29
10/13/2008, 10:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13534352#post13534352 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcottle
Wow that doesn't look good.

Cut the top off a 2 liter plastic bottle. Cut some holes in it for flow and place over the coral. That will protect it while it is healing. Feed every other day with a small amount (not too much) of meaty food. Hopefully after a couple of weeks it will be putting flesh back on.

I know you suggested a bottle, which I have a clear plastic 1 gallon jar I was going to cut in half and use, but what about using egg crate and keeping it off the sand bed?

Which would be better, jar or egg crate?

medic29
10/14/2008, 10:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13537929#post13537929 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by medic29
I'm planning on doing an iodine dip tonight when I get home.

I did the idodine dip last night and placed it in the bottom half of a clear plastic jar I had cut in half and placed on the sandbed. This should keep the sand and anything in the sandbed from bothering it. It still can get water flow. I may place a piece of egg crate over the top to keep the large crabs from entering, but I haven't seen any even trying as of yet.

Garage1217
10/14/2008, 10:32 AM
I had one do that when one of my modded k4's was bumped by my wife and the brain was getting to much flow. Once it was corrected, all was well in a week. Just a thought.

medic29
10/14/2008, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13544028#post13544028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Garage1217
I had one do that when one of my modded k4's was bumped by my wife and the brain was getting to much flow. Once it was corrected, all was well in a week. Just a thought.

I sure hope that is all it is...we will see.

john rochon
10/14/2008, 10:38 AM
stop moving it! LOL. corals hate being moves especially brains. either the past nipping cut the flesh or it being off the sandbed and probaly in your rock work. if theres no nippers now it should rebound but stop moving it

medic29
10/14/2008, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13544057#post13544057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john rochon
stop moving it! LOL. corals hate being moves especially brains. either the past nipping cut the flesh or it being off the sandbed and probaly in your rock work. if theres no nippers now it should rebound but stop moving it

But it feels so nice :D

I'm trying to get it in a safe place, but you're right I need to stop messing with it. That is why I was trying to do as much to it as needed at one time.

Any thoughts as to whether I should try to clean the sand and other stuff out/off the skeleton or just leave it alone and let it take care of iteself? My thoughts are to leave well enough alone and it will take care of itself.

Suggestions??

john rochon
10/14/2008, 11:39 AM
if all your other corals are doing good then don't touch it. it might come back, it might regress more. but if it was fine for some time and then it wasn't chances are the ''angel'' was at it when you weren't looking. if it shows tentacles [feeding responce] either after lights out or anytime then try feeding it a bit. sometimes this does wonder. once every 2 weeks is what I used to feed

medic29
10/14/2008, 11:46 AM
The angel has been out of the tank for several months.

medic29
10/17/2008, 06:31 PM
Well, I took a turkey baster and gently blew some water over it and a bunch of tissue, mucous, and stuff blew off. There is still tissue on probably 65% of it, but it definitely has something going on. The "good" tissue is still inflated some. I'm wondering if I should move a power head or something so that it would continually get a moderate amount of flow into the dish it is in.

wrott
10/19/2008, 07:08 PM
Yes, I would increase flow.
When I saw bare skeleton on the brain in my friends tank, it started to become infected w/ bacteria(white puffs), so I pointed that part of the brain into stronger flow and it healed over in about a week.
I hope it makes it.

Garage1217
10/19/2008, 07:50 PM
I personally think higher flow is the last thing it needs. Very gentle flow would be fine like that from a turkey baster gently blowing on it every now and again.

medic29
10/19/2008, 07:55 PM
I added some more loc line to one of my 2 returns and aimed it down at the brain. It is not a harsh flow, maybe a gently to low-medium flow at the brain. Enough to be able to see the tissue move a little.

downhillbiker
10/19/2008, 09:41 PM
What kind of lighting did you say you had. What are the water params? Please "break it down" for us.

I agree, it doesn't need a bunch of flow, or being moved a bunch. Light/Moderate flow is all you need. I have mine in the sand bed about 2 feet away from my korallia 4's and the korallias are pointed about 45 degrees off of the brain....aka....lots of flow in my tank, but very indirect on the brains.