PDA

View Full Version : Need Aquascaping Help

texasfootball21
10/12/2008, 08:44 PM
So i need some aquascaping advice. I have a 36 gallon corner that I am planning on turning from a cheap and basic FOWLR to a still pretty cheap (I wish) nice looking reef. I now have about 27 pounds of rock. 17 base, 10 live. Anyway, I am sick of the pile of rock look I have.

I am hoping to fix up the aquascape with a minimalistic look, I think they also call it zen of bonsai.

I wanted to do a foam wall but the corner tank will not work well with one. So I was thinking maybe I'd do some pillars.

How would I do this? Should I make a structure underneath and then zip tie rock, or just stack rock and foam it all together? I really am at a loss here so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gwynhidwy
10/13/2008, 06:36 AM
I used putty on my pillars and it worked well, but you have to find rocks that fit fairly well together. Most people use a masonry bit to drill a hole through the center of the rock and slide the rocks onto an acrylic rod attached to a square acrylic base. The base helps to stabilize the pillar so it doesn't fall over. Some people have also used fiberglass rods like the driveway markers you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. I don't know how they attach those to a base though, its really easy to attach acrylic to acrylic securely.