PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Wrasse w/ Pop-Eye?!?!

SyliGoose
10/12/2008, 09:36 PM
So I just got a Fairy Wrasse last weekend. He/she (we refer to her as a "she" as it IS a Fairy Wrasse......named "Tinkerbell" LOL) apparently has some kind of Pop-Eye.

When purchased, both eyes looked good and clear, was eating good, and fins all looked good. Brought her home and attempted to acclimate her into the 24g - but the 2 clown fish in that tank would have no part of that and immediately started attacking the bag she was in. So I, instead, acclimated her into the main tank. She still looked fine. I didn't think I'd have any problems with her at all.

Tonight, I got home from the 2nd TC-FRAG meeting and started acclimating the crabs Rick gave me.....and looked closer at the animals in there. I noticed one eye looked fine and the other eye looks popped out. I initially thought it looked cloudy, too.....but the more I looked at it, it just seems popped out, not so much cloudy.

I got on the computer and Googled it......and from what I have read, if it's both eyes, it is most likely a disease or infection of some nature. If it's just one eye, it's more than likely injury and will be fine. I'm hoping that's more the case, injury and will be fine in a few days to a week. A few sites I looked at suggested Epsom Salt added to the tank to aid the healing process.....but it says it affects the salinity. Anyone ever done this? I'm not going to do Anything until I figure out what it is and what can be done......

Any opinions???? Taking her out for quarentine would mean Wendy tearing the tank apart (LOL) and even then, where would I put her? The 24g has the clowns that don't want ANYONE in there with them.

HELP!?!?!?!

RicksReefs
10/13/2008, 02:37 PM
ya, it very well could be that it's a mechanical injury and not true pop eye. I've never heard of using epsom salts for it except for freshwater maybe. it's loaded with magnesium (good thing) but it also has sulfates in it (not so good thing). the sulfates are the reason I don't use epsom as a cheap Mag alternative.

I'd say just keep an eye on it (sorry, had to) and if it clouds up, pop in some melafix.

SyliGoose
10/13/2008, 02:44 PM
That's what Wendy and I were saying......but will the Melafix hurt the corals?

RicksReefs
10/13/2008, 03:02 PM
generally no, it doesn't 'hurt' the corals. but it may make a few of them aggravated enough to slime up a bit.

SyliGoose
10/13/2008, 06:29 PM
So, I was on the phone talking about the fish......and I wandered over to the tank to get a better look.
BAM!!
The eye is MUCH smaller than it was......and it's clear. You can still see it's slightly bigger then the other eye.....but it's not like it was yesterday.
YAY!!
Glad I didn't have to do anything.........

RicksReefs
10/13/2008, 08:49 PM
Kewl!