PDA

View Full Version : drilling a full 29g tank

jedheuer
10/12/2008, 11:27 PM
Hi,

I bought a tank used and it came with an overflow box so I used it. I find it to be a noisy and ugly. I want to drill for a 1" bulkhead in the back of the tank which is black acrylic. I plan on draining the water just enough to get the bulk head drilled so the acrylic will be under some stress. It is a 29g tank. I have drilled a tank before so it wouldn't be my first time drilling acrylic. Anybody have experience drilling a mostly filled tank? I am a bit worried about cracking, splitting etc. due to the stress the acrylic is under. Thanks!

cujo6984
10/13/2008, 05:00 AM
how low can you lower the water level?? how many inches?

am3gross
10/13/2008, 07:19 AM
my thought would be to play it safe and drain the entire tank.. if you drill it full and nothing happens then you get lucky. if you drill it full and it breaks you are going to have a big mess and the possibility of losing everything.

biecacka
10/13/2008, 09:27 AM
drain the tank! please, for your sake

jedheuer
10/13/2008, 09:35 AM
I could probably lower the level by a good ten inches or so. Which would be about half empty.

Guillaume
11/04/2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Jedheuer, Did you drilled your tank? How it went? Did you emptyed it? or just a few inches? I'm about to do the same with a full 33g acrilic and have even never drilled a tank but studied a lot! So can your experience help me?
Thanks
G

jedheuer
11/04/2008, 12:42 PM
update: I havent drilled yet. I been busy with a newborn but I am going to order the bulk heads this week and drill next week or the week after. I will update when I do the drilling.

Guillaume
11/04/2008, 08:00 PM
Congratulation for the newborn! I may drill my tank at the same time than you so I can keep you posted too.
Thx
G

wwace
11/05/2008, 06:27 AM
As long as you keep the hole a safe distance from the edge you should be ok. Lower water and duct tape the area inside to keep debri from going into tank you could even make a little containment area. After you get about 3/4 thru go very slow and make sure you dont bind bit. Acryllic is way more forgiving then glass as far as stress on tank goes so you should be ok

Arthur1
11/05/2008, 08:58 AM
Yea the 33 should be easy to drill if its made of an acrylic that isn't too thin. I'd lower the water level myself a few just to play it a little safe. As w said when you get near the end slow it down, and I always spray the hole with water while its being drilled just to keep the bit cool and from heating the acrylic too much :) have fun

Guillaume
11/20/2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks you both, seams easy then! I was waiting being not sure but I'll try it now.
Thanks
G

jedheuer
11/20/2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the good ideas. I like the duct tape idea and will try that.

Good luck Guillaume. I am getting my bulkheads by mail, so I will be drilling this weekend as well.

jedheuer
11/27/2008, 02:30 PM
Success! Drilled the bulkhead no problem and used duct tape to catch most the drilling mess. Bulkhead is in and no leaks (so far!)