PDA

View Full Version : Tank Transfer

matthewscars
10/13/2008, 01:10 PM
My 55 has been up for 6 months and Im upgrading to a 90. The 90 is 2.5 weeks into the cycle.

My question is, once the cycle is done, what's the most effective way to switch everything over?

STUFF:
Yellow Tang
6 Line
Algae Blenny
Fire Fish

5 Turbos
Tux hermits
4 Nas snails

Small Zoa colonies
Kenya tree
GSP
Frogspawn
LPS Hammers
Toadstool

And im bringing over 15-25 lb of LR

Don-Coraleone
10/13/2008, 01:12 PM
scoop all the fish and corals out. then drain the water out. then you could take the rock out. if you take the rock out first you will release the sulfur thats built up under the rock and it could kill your fish. it has happened to me.

matthewscars
10/13/2008, 01:16 PM
I was more worried about the bio-load. No fish and newly cycled to 4 fish/inverts/corals.

Is it fair to say going from 0 to 60 in a day is damagerous for a new system?

Don-Coraleone
10/13/2008, 02:11 PM
as long as the levels are good i dont see any issues.

kolosy
10/13/2008, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13538226#post13538226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by matthewscars
I was more worried about the bio-load. No fish and newly cycled to 4 fish/inverts/corals.

Is it fair to say going from 0 to 60 in a day is damagerous for a new system?

um... yes. the tank's ability to handle bioload is partly a function of the amount of nitrifying bacteria it has. just because it has enough to handle the die-off from the LR, doesn't mean that it can handle added fishies. take your time, if you can.

CUC first, other later, slowly.

matthewscars
10/13/2008, 03:01 PM
With only one protein skimmer (currently in new tank) and removing the CUC, the 55 will be a hell.

Im going to switch everything over over the course of a week. If i get any spikes, I'll just have to keep up on the water changes every few days if the spike continues.

Should work, yeah?