PDA

View Full Version : Byropsis From Hell

supersurfer12
10/13/2008, 04:51 PM
How can you eradicate this its everywhere and I scraped all the rock last week and now its worse than before can anyone help me?

Rae C.
10/13/2008, 05:14 PM
There are several other threads on here about this very thing. Most people are saying, hand pull as much as you can, be sure to remove any floating bryopsis debris.

There's lots of talk about increasing magnesium to high levels, and sea hares or tangs.

I've also got some of this and just ordered mag to see if that works. This stuff is all tangled up in the corals. I can't hand pick without damaging them.

How bad is your infestation? Got a pic?

supersurfer12
10/13/2008, 05:20 PM
no i dont but i have 90 pounds of rock and it covers about 1/4 off my tank

rickyfins
10/13/2008, 06:04 PM
I have a question for you.

Did you by any chance collect anything from the ocean locally like snails or anything?

SnowManSnow
10/13/2008, 07:13 PM
The ONLY way I have EVER gotten it out of my tank is by starving it of light. Take it and banish it to a dark sump for a few weeks.

B

supersurfer12
10/13/2008, 07:16 PM
no i didnt get anything from my local sea waters

Rae C.
10/13/2008, 07:50 PM
Hey, Supersurfer12, does your mother know about your occupation?! Just wondering,

supersurfer12
10/14/2008, 07:36 PM
of course......dude chill out its a joke

seapug
10/14/2008, 08:43 PM
Bump your Magnesium up to 1500 and install a phosban reactor with GFO. I had a terrible problem when my tank was about a year old, but the Magnesium and GFO did the trick in about 8 weeks. Never came back, either.

supersurfer12
10/14/2008, 08:47 PM
do you have to manully remove or just leave it be an it eventually die off?

rickyfins
10/14/2008, 11:49 PM
Hey you gotta do what you can to pay for the hobby right? LOL

I would manually remove each rock, remove the hair algae and scrap it with a toothbrush(not the one you use LOL).

I would do weekly water changes of 10-20% with good RO/DI water. Test the TDS output if above 2 you are possibly gonna have issues there.

Clean up any detritus build up.

Blow off the rocks with a turkey baster to get sediment into the water column and filtered out. Increase flow as well hair algae hates it.

Keeping levels in check also helps. If you are using good techniques phosban reactor wont be neccessary long term. I personally wouldn't raise Mg levels above normal params. In fact I don't like raising any level above that of natural seawater. 1300 is on the top end. Raising higher than that level will drastically affect Calcium and Alk levels. You don't want those numbers out of line. Mg can also cause them to be out of ionic balance at that high of a number. You definitely don't want that. Keep your levels within NORMAL parameters and follow my guideline and you should be ok.

I don't take drastic measures to fix any problem, that is where patience comes in. The best thing for any tank is always good old fashioned water changes. I do 35gals a week. The tank has never looked better. Drastic measures cause drastic problems, fish death, coral death, and other unknowns you dont want to deal with.

If you can up your fuge size I see it says 1/2 gal on your current tank list. Try to get it to 10-20gal capacity. That should help with nutrient removal better.

You have a decent fish load in the tank as well, if your current tank list is accurate. Lower the feeding schedule; if you feed daily, try twice a week until you get it under control.

and #1 Be patient, it takes time to eliminate it so be prepared to feel like your fighting up hill for awhile. If you are Obsessive Compulsive over it, you will succeed. Sorry, I am an obsessive compulsive here when it comes to the tank, and fiddle daily with the tank. ;)

The reason I asked about local introductions is about 2 years ago I did a collection trip on Long Island, and within weeks of adding a few snails I had the worst outbreak of some strain I had never seen before. It took many many months and hard work to rid the little devil, but I did it. The problem with it was it grew even in GREAT water chemistry and optimal flow for corals. I think it had to do with where the snails were collected, in a shallow area with lots of crashing waves.

I hope this helps, keep us updated! I would like to see your progress!

Keep on Reefing!

Cheers!

SeanT
10/15/2008, 12:22 AM
I would "cook" the rock.

supersurfer12
10/15/2008, 04:32 PM
ok thanks im gonna need allt his inorder to fix this problem but my fuge is what i thought was 1/2 gla but its really more like 5 gals. i didnt really know the difference

hermitage
10/15/2008, 06:04 PM
I've fought this succesfully...If you have 90 #'s and 1/4 of the rock is covered, thats not a lot of rock.

It's tiem to cook the rock....

I didn't do it by the book, but what I did has completeley resolved my bryopsis issue. Get an appropriate size trash can, and take the rock with Bryopsis out and put it in the can. Circulate it with a powerhead, scrub the rock and do weekly 100% water changes.

I did this for 8 weeks, and haven't seen hair algae at all in my tank for 7 months.

Chances are that you probably have it on other rocks, you just can't see it..so keep the trash can handy, as you see the Bryopsis, take the rock out and stick it in the tank.

You can also does Mag if you want. I did, and it seemed to work.