PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo dendros

mrgreenthumb
10/13/2008, 04:13 PM
Check out these jumbo dendros. largest one opens up 3 inches!!
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/mrgreenthumblayton/IMG_0050-1.jpg

Tennyson
10/13/2008, 05:00 PM
holy crud thats awesome!!! I love these corals.

Don-Coraleone
10/14/2008, 07:55 PM
beautiful!!!!!

princehugo
10/24/2008, 12:44 PM
I aquired a small collny of these dendros and need to know about its care adn lighting needs. I know they are nophotosynthetic but can they tolerate halide if on the bottom of the tank. What do you feed yours and how ofter do you feed them. When do you feed them. It seemed that I was doing okay but they have not opened during the day anymore and only open a little during the early morning when the lights are off. Thank you for any help.

mrgreenthumb
10/24/2008, 12:49 PM
I feed mine pe mysis, and they catch other reef nutrition products that I feed to the corals. Lighting I wouldn't be to concerned about, mine are about 8 inches away from a 250 halide. I try to feed mine daily, as they stay open all day everyday if I do. Plus I want them to grow like crazy!!!

treefer
10/27/2008, 08:26 PM
gotta love dem dendro's :D

rissaroo
10/27/2008, 10:53 PM
just out of curiosity, how much are dendros per polyp?

princehugo
10/28/2008, 10:26 AM
they can cost around $25 a head. Check out cherrycorals.com

mrgreenthumb
10/28/2008, 12:38 PM
yea i got mine for 25 a head!!

HankB
10/29/2008, 01:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13636510#post13636510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrgreenthumb
yea i got mine for 25 a head!!

I think we paid that much for two heads at the local frag swap this last weekend, but I could be wrong because we bought too much and didn't keep careful notes. :D

But with that, we've joined the ranks of NPS coral keepers. We're already target feeding other LPS corals so it didn't seem like a big deal to me to have one or two (or 6 or 8 ;) ) mouths to feed. Right now we're feeding mysis and Rod's carnivore formula (chopped to reasonable size.) I've also seen suggestions for feeding frozen baby brine, but that seems pretty small for that size polyp. But I guess it is worth a try.

Do you have any feeding tips? Yours look great!

Are your dendros jumbo by type or as a result of care?

thanks,
hank

happyface888
10/29/2008, 02:12 PM
Those are awsome.
I have 3 dendros in my tank and I was wondering has yours ever closed up for a few days? Currently mine has stayed semi open and I don't know whats up. They all open when its super early in the morning say 7:00am but when I get home around 5:30pm or so they are all closed up. And thats when the lights are on. I don't know whats going on, the pass week they have all opened up and they aren now semi open.

Would like to know what your experience is with your dendros
Thanks

Logzor
10/29/2008, 04:53 PM
I just got a head of dendro. It has 3-4 mini heads on it. The main polyp is quite large, probably the size of an egg crate square.

Its been in my tank for two days and has not opened fully yet. Ive seen it open up a bit at night but not much.

I just threw some food at it and its about half open.

Is this normal for them? Do they take awhile to adjust?

How do I know it is not a sun coral?

mrgreenthumb
10/30/2008, 02:58 PM
Hank b- good question, they were sold to me as jumbo's so that what i call them :D, I feed my dendros daily pe mysis, and they also catch lots of the acan food as well!! I also feed out the full reef nutrition line of products and they snag some ofn that as it floats by. They really seem to prefer the larger meatier foods though. They will eat brine shrimp, but that is a better food for their cousins tubastrea, they will get alot more nutritional value out of pe mysis as compared to brine.

happyface- I believe i responded in your post, but in case i didn't here it is again. I would feed every day rather than every other day, I think you will see a better response from them. I also try to vary the time of day i feed them so they are always open waiting for food!! Mine usualluy only close up for about 5 mins right after i feed them then the rest of the day they stay open

Logzor-they usuakkt take a day or 2 to adjust! Feed them everyday! You can tell the difference by their skelatal structure, and dendros are quite a bit larger than tubastrea as well!!

HankB
10/30/2008, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13651182#post13651182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrgreenthumb
Hank b- good question, they were sold to me as jumbo's so that what i call them :D, I feed my dendros daily pe mysis, ...

I've been feeding ours frozen Hikari Mysis - not sure about the pe part. What does pe mean in this contact?

And I have to stop trying to feed the acans and duncans they're sharing the QT with as much as they both regurgitated today. :rolleyes:

thanks again,
hank

mrgreenthumb
10/31/2008, 01:07 AM
PE mysis is a brand, Piscine Energetics is what the pe stands for

Logzor
11/01/2008, 08:47 PM
Mine finally started to open. It has been in the tank for around three days now. I was having to lure it out with food and today I got a nice chunk of homemade food in him this afternoon and started expanding. (I am pretty sure they are dendro but not 100%).

This is a pic tonight when I got home, the lights had turned off so this is a flash shot:

http://fc58.deviantart.com/fs35/i/2008/306/6/f/Dendro_by_Logzor.jpg

dtaylor123
11/02/2008, 08:33 PM
That's a Dendro! Enjoy it, it's a very cool coral.

Dan

mrgreenthumb
11/02/2008, 11:18 PM
thats 4 dendros :D