PDA

View Full Version : plumbing... how many inputs/outputs for closed loop pump

jon99
10/13/2008, 04:47 PM
I'm planning on installing a closed loop system on a 180 gallon mixed reef tank. I was going to use an iwaki md30rxt pump at about 2 feet of head which would give me about 1100 gallons per hour flow. Should I use 1 or 2 or more outputs for the pump?? Would one be too much flow and blast my coral with a high pressure jet?? Also, how many holes (1-inch preferbly) should I have drilled in the tank for the inputs for a pump this size? I know 1 will work ok, but will the suction be too strong and accidentally suck things to the strainer clog it etc??

cloakerpoked
10/13/2008, 06:21 PM
I run a Mag 12 on 1 input and 2 outputs on a 120. I'd think two outputs would be good, although 3 might give you better coverage...Maybe try 2 inputs and 3 outputs in a staggered configuration (lets see if this works or not) Like so...

output output output
input input

cloakerpoked
10/13/2008, 06:23 PM
Wasn't too bad...you get the idea anyway...put the two inputs down and between each output...guess discribing it would've kept me from looking like an idiot...live and learn :) Just a suggestion from personal experience...make sure you have ball valves and unions around your pump so you can remove it for maintainance (or God forbid) to replace it like I have to now...

Discustopia
10/13/2008, 07:43 PM
If you choose a single inlet - make sure it has two strainers on a T to reduce the vacuum pull and demise of tank inhabitants. Otherwise min 2 inlets, two outlets would be best. I have 2 inlets and 4 outlets on my tank and it gets busy underneath. I'd prefer two in the front corners and two in the back but my tank is a look through design.

ride4life
10/13/2008, 07:45 PM
Id go with 2 inputs in the bottom third of the tank and 3 outputs. And like cloaker said, def have a ball valve right after the pump so you can throttle it back if needed, and unions are a must for maintenance/replacement.

jon99
10/13/2008, 08:20 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions!