PDA

View Full Version : skunk shrimp molted, no iodine, few quick questions

sikpupy
10/13/2008, 06:49 PM
My shrimp was cleaning fish the day I got him, he seemed happy. When I got him home and put him in the tank, he went into a trance like mode. I thought he was a gonner. Now, one night later, he molted. Guess the first question would be... Is that indicitive of him being happy, unhappy or indiferent?

Second question is, I do not have any iodine for him, wasnt expecting him to molt so fast. I DID change the tank water just before putting him in, then dripped him to the fresh/new water changed water from the tank. Will there be enough minerals in there for him because of this? I did 3 gallons on a 20l which probably has about 13-15 actual gallons of water in it.

Hop
10/13/2008, 07:06 PM
It is a trace element within your salt mix. It should be fine.

HaleMoana
10/13/2008, 07:14 PM
^+1

Normal water changes should provide enough iodine.

sikpupy
10/13/2008, 07:25 PM
Thats what I was thinking and hoping, thanks.

Any reason why he molted so quick? Was it coincidence?

scott058
10/13/2008, 07:30 PM
Mine molts every couple months. I always just thought he was getting bigger. I'd say its no big deal at all

HaleMoana
10/13/2008, 07:36 PM
It's completely natural. They outgrow their skeleton (not sure how technical that is). But it is natural. I would be worried if I didn't see mine molting.

As for the timing... maybe he was just due. Or maybe the stress kicked it in... either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

sikpupy
10/13/2008, 07:58 PM
Cool, not really worried, was just curious of the timing. I am actuallt being optomistic that he enjoyed his new home so much he said "hey, this place has all i need, i think I will molt in this awfully cozy place", lol.