PDA

View Full Version : Euphyllia Sp Question

mattnbecs
10/13/2008, 10:33 PM
I have noticed in the last few days that the polips on my torch coral (euphyllia SP) have released brown filaments. I have seen this happened three times in the last 5 days or so.

These filaments are between 2 and 4 inches, and I have seen my clownfish eating them.

What are these filaments??

sassafrass
10/13/2008, 11:13 PM
One of two possible things, coral poop or zoozanthelle(bleaching) the latter due to stress.

surge19us
10/14/2008, 10:14 AM
Sounds like mesenterial filaments. Part of the corals digestive tract that it can use for defense by expelling it and if it touches another coral literally digests it on the spot. One of the reasons Euphyllia need some space.

surge19us
10/14/2008, 10:18 AM
After rereading the question it may not be the mesantery. Are the filaments coming out of the center? Out of the mouth? Then it is probably mesantery. If out of the tentacles themselves, not sure.

Amoore311
10/14/2008, 10:31 AM
I think you're dealing with Poo.

I've seen my Aussie Orange Torch, and some of my brain corals do this from time to time.

mattnbecs
10/14/2008, 03:04 PM
The corals appear healthy, and my tank is still quite sparsely populated of corals, so I think, and hope it is not mesenterial filaments. If it's poop, I am not too impressed with my clownfish culinary tastes l0l.
Thanks for your inputs.