PDA

View Full Version : lemonpeel angel

r0bin
10/14/2008, 09:08 AM
I have had a lemonpeel angel in my 75 for a little over a week. Feeds well, picks at everything and seems to be very healthy. Last night I noticed some "new" behavior I am not sure about. It was raising all of its top spiky fins, darting around the tank, hitting its self sides ways against the glass, and even scraped a little with my clownfish. I know these fish can be semi-agressive but I personally have not had a dwarf angel act this way. Is he establishing dominance? Getting territorial or what? Am I in trouble here, lol, I just got rid of an extrememly agressive purple psuedo. What is your experience particularly with the lemonpeels?

burton14e7
10/14/2008, 10:21 AM
Sounds like possible Ick. Keep it eating and it should stay healthy enough to fight it off.

landlord
10/14/2008, 10:26 AM
It may also be fighting its own reflection in the glass. I have a yellow tang who has done it for a year now. I find it disturbing.

r0bin
10/14/2008, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13543540#post13543540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by burton14e7
Sounds like possible Ick. Keep it eating and it should stay healthy enough to fight it off.

No he isn't scratching at all or displaying any signs of being sick.

BigJay
10/14/2008, 10:38 AM
I agree, he sees his reflection as competition for his space, food, and potential mates. I have a flame angel that does the same thing.

burton14e7
10/14/2008, 10:39 AM
What you're describing is exactly how my purple tang acted and then a few days later I saw the Ick. He even acted like that all through out his battle and he never scratched himself against rocks. So I'm just saying it's possible. I figured he was acting tough to scare the Ich off.

My Lemonpeel disappeared one day, never found his body. But here he is with Kobe doing their thing. They followed each other around all day. RIP

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/burton14e7/101_0501.jpg

r0bin
10/14/2008, 10:39 AM
hmmm interesting and makes since BigJay. I just hope he doesn't become so agressive its hard to add anything else to the tank. I know he probably should have been last, but stock is so scarce around here you take what you can get when you can get it. I have wanted a lemonpeel for a long time.

r0bin
10/14/2008, 10:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13543645#post13543645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by burton14e7
What you're describing is exactly how my purple tang acted and then a few days later I saw the Ick. He even acted like that all through out his battle and he never scratched himself against rocks.

Ok I will keep a watch on him for ich.

Reeffuzz
10/24/2008, 12:19 AM
I have a lemonpeel half back hybrid that did the same thing for the first month I had it in my tank. Then one day he stopped. Just keep a look out for the ich.

r0bin
10/24/2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for responding. So far no signs of ick and he seems to have calmed down some. Was chasing my clown last night though. I think he may be a bit more agressive than I expected but he is so beautiful! I think they are my fav. salwater fish! Also I think its more appropriate for my tank that a tang, size wise. I am happy with it.

crvz
10/24/2008, 09:10 AM
They are really beautiful fish, but definitely not reef safe in my experience. Glad it's tuned it down a little.