PDA

View Full Version : Thick Stem Pom Pom Xenia?

agoutihead
10/14/2008, 01:23 PM
check this out...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+692&pcatid=692

I have "regular" pom pom xenia... didnt know there was this thick stem out there...

is it really different from the regular stuff out there?

How common is it?

I would prefer this kind because it seems to grow in more of a mat, which is nice.

Marklu
10/14/2008, 02:18 PM
Thats what my xenia looks like. I just thought it was the normal pom-pom, but mine does have thicker stems than others i've seen. It grows very lush in my tank and very fast as well. IMO its the best xenia i've seen. I frag it and trade it in for store credit all the time. But now since i know its special, maybe i'll try get a little more credit from it lol ; )

masterfuji01
10/14/2008, 02:50 PM
The only xenia that seems similar to what they are listing is the Bali Xenia that GARF has had for sale from time to time.

http://www.garf.org/BALISHOW/BALISHOW2/FrameSet.htm

It is known as giant bali xenia and is supposedly much harder to care for than the regular red sea pom pom xenia. However, the picutre of the stuff liveaquaria is selling does not look like the stuff on the GARF Site.

agoutihead
10/14/2008, 02:54 PM
yes doesnt look anything like it.

i love the pink pom pom xenia, its my favorite coral.

IslandCrow
10/14/2008, 03:35 PM
I don't know if what Live Aquaria is selling is a different species or morph, but you can achieve the same results with water flow and lighting. In my 12g Nano with very low flow and relatively weak lighting, my xenia grows very tall with relatively thin stalks. The xenia in my 46g (both from the same colony) grows much more like that in the picture. It's getting significantly more flow and much higher lighting. The more intense lighting also makes it a lighter color. The best part, though, is it grows much more slowly, keeping it very manageable.

RokleM
10/15/2008, 08:31 AM
Looks like standard Red Sea pink pulsing Xenia. That's what mine looks like when it's irritated and is allowed to grow out. One of my stalks is roughly 3" thick.

Amoore311
10/15/2008, 10:25 AM
The piece of Bali Pom-Pom I just got from a local guy in Long Island looks just like the live aquaria one as well.

agoutihead
10/15/2008, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13549918#post13549918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
Looks like standard Red Sea pink pulsing Xenia. That's what mine looks like when it's irritated and is allowed to grow out. One of my stalks is roughly 3" thick.

But if you were to irritate it with heavy flow, then the polyps couldnt clap as they do.

And how could you force it to "grow out"?

This is a completely different type of Red Sea Pink Pulsing Pom Pom Xenia.

gemini aquarius(t)
10/15/2008, 03:37 PM
I read this and jumped to the conclusion ( please correct me if you see something obviously wrong with this hypothesis)

If a xenia stalk isnt getting the light it wants, then it would stretch itself to get closer to the light source.
I know that i have had mushrooms, and zoas do this from time to time when they weren't getting enough light or flow.

agoutihead
10/15/2008, 03:43 PM
I thought taht too, but I have a 250W MH over a 26 gallon.

So lighting isnt the issue.

IslandCrow
10/15/2008, 04:06 PM
If a xenia stalk isnt getting the light it wants, then it would stretch itself to get closer to the light source.
I know that i have had mushrooms, and zoas do this from time to time when they weren't getting enough light or flow.

I think that's at least partially the reason for the difference between the xenia I have under PCs (long stalks) and the xenia under T-5s (short, thick stalks). The xenia under T-5s also gets stronger flow. Both of them pulsate. The xenia under strong flow and bright lights stopped pulsating for awhile, but eventually seemed to adapt. In other words, most of these corals can adapt to a variety of different environments as long as their basic needs are met. Exactly how they adapt can of course vary, no doubt even within the same species. Even if what Liveaquaria is selling is indeed a different species or morph, it may very well grow differently under different conditions.

RokleM
10/16/2008, 08:30 AM
I'll agree with that. I've grown it under a cheapo HomeDepot refuge light bulb to barely under the water under a 400w MH. It seems to act different in every tank. For example, in my 58 it has a ton of light (6" under a 250MH) and gets slammed by a Vortech, yet it still stretches and pulses like crazy.