PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue dead

Mike Murphy
10/14/2008, 02:36 PM
9 days after bringing it home my 6 inch powder blue died suddenly. Water parameters in my 125 were excellent.
PH 8.4
Alk 2.5
Calcium 400
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.026
Temp 78 F

Tank has been running about 60 days with 6 inch dsb and 180lbs of live rock & fuge, skimmer, calcium reactor etc.

Have a yellow tank , small blue pacific tang and maroon clown, soft corals & banded coral shrimp. All of which are doing well. It had been eating fine, looked a little pale in the begining but seemed to perk up. Second of 2 fish that I have purchased from that store that have died within days. The first one was a small Copperband that had been eating pods but died within 4 -5 days.

Begining to think that maybe the collection source is not good for this store. Powder Blue was fairly large. Wonder if it was caught with chemicals?

All specimens were introduced at 1-2 week intervals and no spikes.
Comments?

Beach Magnolia
10/14/2008, 02:45 PM
I sure do feel your pain. I had a similar thing happen, although mine lived a little bit longer than yours. It wasn't until I went to a local club meeting and explained the symptoms that it was brought to my attention it was probably a chemically caught fish.

I don't frequent that LFS anymore.

Beach Magnolia
10/14/2008, 02:47 PM
One other thing - you may want to give your tank a longer break-in period before adding some of the fussier fishies.

Mike Murphy
10/14/2008, 03:04 PM
Normally I would go a little longer on the break-in but I seeded this tank early on and it has had an abundant supply or algae that I harvest from the over flow grids for the tangs which they readily wolf down. I have kept Powder Blues before in fish only without live rock and kept them for several years in worse conditions 20 -30 years back without a death. Think I'm going to change stores. A fellow reefer suggested a place called The Abyss on the north side of Indy. Think I'll check then out.