PDA

View Full Version : Clown keeps jumping into overflow!!!

Octoberfest
10/14/2008, 08:20 PM
My clown keeps jumping into my overflow and I'm not quite sure how to stop it. I've got a 72 gallon bow-front and about every three days I find myself fishing in the overflow for her. I have glass tops on the tank but they don't fish "snug" over the overflow.

Any advice?

kfisc
10/14/2008, 08:28 PM
Birdnetting?

Octoberfest
10/14/2008, 08:40 PM
I had thought about covering the overflow but I'm worried she'll try to jump over and then get caught on the net and die. When she does bail over the overflow she is just fine back there, I've even left her in there for several days because I've seen her jump back and know she can get back in the main tank. Its almost like a game, maybe the male is getting "pushy" and she's just trying to avoid him.

spw4949
10/14/2008, 09:01 PM
Cover the tank with birdnetting....

maroun.c
10/14/2008, 09:01 PM
WEll f she thinks thats homw them you got a problem. Also ther eis always the risk she will be sucked i nthe tubes unless the are screened. eggcrate along the oveflow glass did it for the male I was trying to keep from running away from the female but then she she got him really bad and torn his fins so I had to take him out which was very easy as he jumped in the net to runaway.

carolinacoral
10/15/2008, 04:26 AM
I built a little eggcrate box over mine, works like a charm.

purplereef
10/15/2008, 05:05 AM
I lost 2 Picasso Clowns like this! I found them on the covered overflow after they had been there awhile. Dead.

gogatsbj
10/15/2008, 06:18 AM
I had the same issue of one clown chasing the other into the overflow on a weekly basis, in the end the male had beaten the female up so bad i took her to the refugium to rehab her and never moved her out, at least she is healthy and not getting her butt kicked anymore.

Octoberfest
10/15/2008, 06:26 AM
Mine doesn't have any markings on it like its being beat on. Maybe its time to do a complete egg crate cover on my tank

atwinparadox2
10/15/2008, 08:03 AM
I have had the same problem with my clowns at feeding time with my cube. I would come over to a side of the tank to feed and the clowns would start pulling some Xgames crap and trying to dive out of the tank, I had one literally bounce off my hand time after time. I built a eggcrate top and sprayed it black and it worked fine. When I make my food mixtures i just pour it through the eggcrate. Works like a charm...hope this helps.

Sk8r
10/15/2008, 08:05 AM
Go to a stitchery/hobbystore, get some plastic needlepoint canvas, cut it to slant over the overflow and enable any fish that lands on it to wiggle back to the water.