PDA

View Full Version : Came home from vacation, not so bad, but wow.

pledosophy
10/15/2008, 01:03 AM
So I got home maybe 20 minutes ago. No crash on either tanks, (whew!) the corals actually all look bigger. But I am out of food so I think the sitter fed twice as much as instructed. :D

Which led to a huge algae outbreak. I mean it's insane. I'm actually kind of in awe of the algae it grew so fast. Not that the tank was perfect before, but I thought I was almost done battling the algae as it only was in two smaller then a dime spots, now it's half the tank, and long let me tell you.

Anyhoo. Have been waiting to get my foxface until after this trip, gonna get one ASAP now.

Just wanted to post a vacation story that didn't involve a tank crash.

Still crazy algae. Did the tests and the nitrate is 0, the CA is 500 (guess there was an overdose), phosphate is at 0. Taking a break before alk and mag. Sg stayed consistent at 1.027 though. So not so bad.

Back to work for me. Acclimating the corals I got on vacation. :D

Kannin
10/15/2008, 01:19 AM
Most successful vacation return story... ever. Zero phosphates may not mean that there aren't any. It may just be that the algae is using them up... before they show up in your test.

pledosophy
10/15/2008, 01:59 AM
Oh I'm sure the algae is finding and eating them. Same with the nitrate. It is not unusual for my tank to have zero for nitrate and phosphate, but I have a massive amount of algae growth so I'm sure they've been hanging around.

Otty
10/15/2008, 11:39 AM
Just slow down the feeding for a while. If the tank is mature it would be fine to not even feed it for a week then to have someone feed too much.

Glad to see you didn't have livestock dead.

coryjac0b
10/15/2008, 12:17 PM
it almost seems like systems wait for people to go on vacation for something to terribly wrong, but in your case nothing happened, good to hear.

tydtran
10/15/2008, 12:27 PM
I would also ask the sitter if he or she was leaving on the lights a lot longer than you normally leave them on. I had a friends whose tank sitter left his main lights on 24 hours a day for a week. Talk about hair algae.

scapes
10/15/2008, 01:04 PM
that's great pledosophy!!!