PDA

View Full Version : Anenome Tank Params

MasterSparky
10/15/2008, 02:19 PM
My 54g corner has been up for 9 months now. I've got a 3" sandbed with LR. I've only got a couple of percs and I'm ready to move to the next step.

I'm curious what tank params I should pay special attention to. Obviously zero ammonia and nitrites.

What about nitrates? I checked them last night and they were up around 40. I going to get my fuge going with some macro algea this weekend to get them under control and probably a large water change.

What about PH? I measured it but the color scale is so hard to get a accurate number. What test kit / device is recommended for keeping an eye on ph? Is PH something that can change rapidly? Best way to keep it under control?

Other parameters to pay close attention to?

I'm hoping to score a RBTA in the next few weeks or so and hope to provide a pristine experience.

Thanks for the help! I couldn't do it without you guys.

jmadison
10/15/2008, 02:33 PM
I advise you get those 'trAtes down to as close to 0ppm as possible. Otherwise your bta is gonna melt. You should also know that adding a bta to your system is going to add a lot of bioload to your system, so you're going to need something to keep your nitrates down and keep them down with the addition of your bta's bioload.

MasterSparky
10/16/2008, 07:01 AM
I currently have a refugium although I've not been running anything in the fuge. I've got some macro algea coming so that should help with the nitrates right?

I've also got a skimmer running as well. Will the skimmer, fuge, and LR be sufficient for handling the bio load associated with an anemone?

jmadison
10/16/2008, 07:43 AM
what Kind of Skimmer, how much LR, size of fuge, I hope you are getting cheato not calipura

MasterSparky
10/16/2008, 08:07 AM
Skimmer: AquaC Remora
Refugium: 8g (Medium HOB)
Live Rock: 50lbs
Sand: 80lbs

Yes I'm getting cheato.

See any potential issues?

jmadison
10/16/2008, 04:10 PM
What sort of lighting?

MasterSparky
10/16/2008, 05:16 PM
250W halide with some PC supplements.

Also have a LED fixture I'm working on. Basically a Solaris on steroids.

MasterSparky
10/27/2008, 08:16 AM
I've had my cheato in the fuge for a couple weeks now and the nitrates aren't really dropping that I can tell. I know I can do some major water changes but I want to know that the nitrates are being used up so I figured I'd wait and see what they do on their own.

Any idea how long this process might take?