PDA

View Full Version : ? About ESV B-Ionic 2 Part Additive ?

Reefer07
10/15/2008, 09:12 PM
I recently switched over to ESV B-ionic in my 29 gallon tank. It is a two part and from what I read/understand is equal parts of both the alk. and calc. additive should be added to the aquarium.
I.e. 4 tsp. of alk. and 4 tsp. of calc.
My problem is that I have been using this calculator:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html
And according to it I am supposed to add different amounts.
It always tells me to add almost triple the calcium. Last time I did this I had a spike and it took me a while to get my levels back on. I wanted to avoid this so I just dosed equal parts of both solutions based on what was recommended for the alk. part. I believe it was 10 ml. I dosed.
I am just looking for an answer as to why the calculator says to dose more calcium than alk. I would like to be able to figure out how to add equal parts like the solutions are intended for.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/16/2008, 05:26 AM
You may need to make an initial boost to calcium with just the calcium part. That is the sort of thing the calculator will tell you. It cannot tell you about how much you'll need to dose daily to maintain levels. Trial and error is the way to do that, perhaps using the calculator as a guide for the initial dosage.

Then, after any initial correction, use both parts equally in an amount necessary to maintain alkalinity where you want it, and calcium will follow along on its own unless a water change with a low or high calcium mix messes it up.

You can also use less expensive calcium chloride for that initial one time correction. :)