PDA

View Full Version : Reefers Best Salt Mix?

rob020880
10/15/2008, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know the makeup of this salt mix? I am currently using it and was wondering if it might be lacking something.

Does anyone know why it is more expensive? Does it have anything that benefits corals that other mixes don't. I am pretty skeptical about this salt and just wanted to here your thoughts, because of the cost.

Todd March
10/15/2008, 10:26 PM
I like it a lot—best salt I've used in over 20 years...

It dissolves almost instantly, never cakes in the box, but most importantly, the animals in my tank look great, are growing, and I get the following numbers from RBS with consistent results:

ALK: 7.5 dKH
CA: 420ppm
Unmeasurable PO4 (Salifert and Elos)

Granted I've been a ZEO user for over 5 years, but I have never had a bad product from KZ. Maybe not necessary, but certainly effective. When they came out with a salt mix that closely simulated NSW, I was all over it and have been happy ever since. Just wish it were cheaper... But over the years, after DISASTROUS incidents with Tropic Marine, Oceanic, Kent, Instant Ocean, and others, I am sold on RBS for the time being...

rob020880
10/15/2008, 10:53 PM
So if my tank is at 10 dkh and I do a water change with this salt thats at 7.5 dkh do I hurt my corals?

Todd March
10/15/2008, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13555689#post13555689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rob020880
So if my tank is at 10 dkh and I do a water change with this salt thats at 7.5 dkh do I hurt my corals?

Mmmm, well it's not something I do. If it's a small W/C, like 5% or under, you should be fine. But any larger would make me nervous. Alk is the most important parameter for keeping SPS IME, and they don't like swings of alk at all.

I always try to match my WC water to the tank's dKH (salinity and temperature too). If you want to change your tank's dKH level, do it slowly...

roxsburyrage
10/16/2008, 05:05 PM
Todd there is Guy who makes his own balanced Salt and now he sells off his extra .I can't beleive the results I am getting .I have used all kinds of salts you name just about and never got perfect levels in any batch.http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/
ASK for Gary let him send you a free sample tell him Paul sent you.