remora skimmer

Ok so here it goes, its now October 16th and my readings are

PH 8.2
DKH 12
Amonia <0
calcium is 440
Nitrate was 15PPM has been the same for a while
Nitrite was .02 ppm

Ok, so according to the red sea kit which didnt read below 1ppm, nitrite was undetectable( i returned this kit because the amonia test was defective). I bought an API kit for nitrites and it said 0(also didnt read below 1ppm). The tropic Marin kit keeps saying .02ppm and have tested the same for the last 2 weeks. Amonia has been 0 for 1 months now.

So wich one is right? the sensitive test or the other tests? Am i not cycled?

I have 2mexican turbos,5nassarius, 2 damsels, and a scarlet skunk cleaner.

They are all doing fine, some coraline has started.
Should i do a water change? Can i add More fish yet? All Parameters are steady and dont budge.

I went through diatom bloom, green hair algea, and now i have lime green algea that is almost phosphorecent under actinics.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

ljosh
10/16/2008, 12:54 PM
It is hard to say wich test kit is accurate. Canister filters are generally frowned upon in a reef setup. They can lead to nitrate build up unless they are cleaned often. They are designed to trap debris. Your LR should be able to provide enough biological filtration with adequate flow.

matthewscars
10/16/2008, 12:54 PM
id do a water change and watch what happens over the course of a week. Then id start added a few coral and maybe a fish.

I wouldn't worry about it personally. I use API as well, and when its blue, thats good enough for me and my tank.

edit: the above poster is right about the canister. i have a sump so...

xfactor6
10/16/2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i will try to keep the canister clean. Nitrates have not been going up they are steady. the tank isnt drilled so i would need to find an overflow for it to do the sump. It will be a future project.

matthewscars
10/16/2008, 01:03 PM
ive have a HOB overflow for 3 years now. im so excited to get rid of it. Its the most horrifying point of failure :)

xfactor6
10/16/2008, 01:11 PM
ok,so maybe i wont be adding it, ill wait until i upgrade to a bigger tank with overflow .

:rollface: