PDA

View Full Version : Queen Angel fish reef safe!?!

kinerson
10/16/2008, 05:27 PM
I was at one of my lfs today and to my surprise I saw a beautiful Queen Angel in the display tank. The tank was loaded with softies (no clams or lps or sps). The owner said that this is one of the few large angel fish that actual are reef safe. I asked how they would do in an sps tank but she didn't know. She was only familar with this fish in a softie tank.

Anyone know anything about this? I was pleasantly shocked and would love to have one but my tank is mainly sps. Any thoughts please???

Thank you,
Greg

bj32482
10/16/2008, 06:47 PM
they need at least a 300g tank....and they are most lilkely hit or miss on being reef safe

reefing102
10/16/2008, 06:47 PM
they aren't completely reef safe, i believe they are known for nipping clams and LPS, not sure on sps though

Gwynhidwy
10/16/2008, 06:48 PM
Lol! Queen angels are far from reef safe. Some will be for a while if well fed, but I've never heard of that lasting long. They will definitely chomp on LPS, sponges, anemones, clams, and softies. I've also heard of them going after shrimp and snails. I think they are generally less inclined towards SPS, but I don't think they are safe there either. I'm sure there have been a few individuals that stayed reef safe, but I think they are the rare exception.