PDA

View Full Version : Sensor Cleaning for Chickens

Misled
10/16/2008, 05:27 PM
First off, I am not advocating any brands of equipment or "your" ability to do this. If you try it and screw up your camera, don't call me!!!!

Now that that's over with, let's get on with what this is about. There have been a few spots on the sensor of my D40 for awhile now. The good part was they were on the outer corners so I was pretty good at croping them out or keeping them out of the shot alltogether. The bad thing was, I had 4 dust spots on my sensor!!!!!

I tried the large dust blowers and while it worked on some spots, these few spots would never go away.

My new body, D200!!!!! :D will be here any day now and I thought, why not try one of those cleaners on the D40 before I try to sell it. I ordered the Dust-Aid Platinum. After reading the directions a few times, I thought to myself, "this will never work." I thought, if the blower couldn't move the dust, what chance does this thing have.

I was wrong!!!!!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/DSC_6273.jpg

The pic is the almond kitchen counter. Overhead lighting accounts for the shadows. It took me a couple times to get to them being on the outside edges. I'm impressed.

BlueCorn
10/16/2008, 05:57 PM
Jesse - before you declare yourself dust-free go to your smallest aperture (highest number) and fire a shot. You fired that test at f/5 which will hide most of it. ;)

BlueCorn
10/16/2008, 06:00 PM
Also, always check with the cleaner manufacturer to make sure that the cleaning system that you pick is compatible with your camera. That said, it's really not hard to do yourself.

Misled
10/16/2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry Doug but I put it away in the box after. I'll remember though when:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13560538#post13560538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misled
My new body, D200!!!!! :D will be here any day now

The tracking says the new one should be here tomorrow so I packed it up. It was much better than it was though. The spots would show up in any pic. If there's anything else, let someone else play with it. I was just really in fear of touching the sensor.

luisgo
10/18/2008, 09:47 AM
I have a D40x and I started having some spots in my photos. I discovered that I needed to clean the sensor so I start reading how to do it and used the air blow technique but it didn’t work.

I decided to do what I was not supposed to do. Used a q-tip to clean the sensor and it worked. No more spots.

I am not saying that others should do this but it worked for me.