PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp/goby combo hiding.

Drew225
10/16/2008, 07:48 PM
I know it may be a bit soon to worry..But just yesterday i bought a pistol shrimp and a Yashia goby (Candy cane pistol..The two actually made quite the attractive pair.) They had been paired at the store, so i was confidant they would pair agian.

Acclimate together, put goby in half an hour before shrimp. Goby disappears int othe rockwork (Keep in mind, I onyly have a 12 gallon nano..The guy is dang good at hiding!) Put in the shrimp, but hold it in my hand, trying to get it to click..No such luck. Shrug, let the guy go after a minute. He disappears in the same area that the goby did. I watch for a minute, get bored, decide to give them alone time.

Check a few hours later..Shrimp is alone in the same spot, no sign of the goby. Shrug, walk away.

This morning i notice a rather unpleasent seasquirt, and move the rock about it to get it off...Occurs to me, after i remove the squirt, that this was the rock i had seen the shrimp on! So, i lfit the rock, scoop out the sand that had been underneath, hoping that if the shrimp was hiding in there, that he would be scooped out and not squished. don't think a thing of it, go to school.

Just got back from work, put a piece of food towards the front of the tank, hoping to entice them. I -think- heard the pistol ,so i think he's good..But, again, i haven't actually seen any of them all day.

Should i be worried? Does this happen often? SHould i at least give it a few days before poking around?

Thanks!

sunfish11
10/16/2008, 07:57 PM
Just leave them alone and keep your fingers out of the tank. They will be fine. They may take a little time to come out but everytime you mess with their rocks or put your hands in the tank you are delaying it. Give it a few days. I have two pairs one pair is a watchman/tiger pistol and the other is a yellow rose goby/candy cane pistol and both pairs took a little time to feel comfortable.

Good luck!

Lisa

ReefEnabler
10/16/2008, 08:05 PM
yup exactly any time you add a new fish it is likely to be very scared for at least a few days, and even then it might retreat every time you approach the tank..... that is until it learns that you are the god of food :)

dickhordishay
10/16/2008, 08:37 PM
I bought a pistol and a yellow watchman and it took them a few days to get together.

Then they never parted.

Unfortunately my yellow died for unknown reasons soon after :(

Still have the pistol though :)

Thinking of buying another goby for him.

Brave soul putting that pistol in your hand trying to get him to snap! I would think the pincher may hurt!

Flyflicker
10/16/2008, 08:54 PM
Hey I was actually thinking of getting a shrimp/goby combo ... I was just wondering if a pistol shrimp will get along with everything in my tank. I have crabs and other shrimp and just a relatively peaceful tank. So have you had any problems with your combos?

Drew225
10/16/2008, 09:13 PM
Ahh, something i can help with :p
First, dickhordishay...I actually wasn;t scared at all. The 'pistol' sound , and the claw itself, simpyl releases a strema of bublles that collapses in on itself, creating a sonic boom. He really couldn't do much to me, nor do i think he would want to, for that mattter.

And, flyflicker..Crabs, such as the emerald mithrax and standard hermits.. ihave never heard of issues. However, smaller ornamental strimp, such as the sexy shrimp, may find themselves prey to the Pistol shrimps sonic boom weapon...

Although, imay very well add a cleaner shrimp to the tank, as it may be large enough to dodge this problem.

Elevate
10/16/2008, 09:23 PM
Drew I feel your pain, I am in the same situation except with a yasha/randall's. We had a great ride home but havn't seen much of them since. Breaks my heart.

Drew225
10/16/2008, 10:05 PM
Doesn't it elevate! You're so anxious to see the magic, and then...You don't even know where they go :p