PDA

View Full Version : white powder in tank???

back at it
10/17/2008, 11:19 AM
I finally started my 75 gallon reef tank. I've just mixed the salt in the tank and got the salinity level to1.025 (using hydrometer) I don't know if I've done something wrong but there seems to be white powder all over the tank and the sump. The salt I'm using is seachem saltwater. I've had the tank going for the last two days and the powder is all over. Is this normal for a new tank. I used ro/di water. Right now I've got a koralia 3 for water movement and the sump has a quiet one 5000. If this is normal how would I go about getting rid of the fine powder?? Should I use a filter sock or maybe cabon. I'm just starting and want to get this system running properly before I start adding all the other stuff. Thanks .:confused:

cdness
10/17/2008, 11:23 AM
let it sit for a bit... the powder is probably undissolved salt.

scuzy
10/17/2008, 11:24 AM
anthrax

jk i have no idea. But i sthink it's undisolved salt. Some just don't dissolve. i had that with instant ocean and oceanic.

waxy
10/17/2008, 11:26 AM
It's normal. Just let the water settle.

Did you wait for the salt to completely dissolve prior to putting it into your display?

Salt does take a while to completely dissolve. Your best option would have been the Mix Saltwater --> Filter Sock --> Mix again --> or let the salt sit as you mix it for a while.

And it normally takes a few days to a week to clear.

Are you running a skimmer? That does help a significant amount.

You don't want carbon, you want the nutrients to stay in there as the bacteria is developing.

bach2pilot
10/17/2008, 12:22 PM
It's probably calcium. Did you pour the salt into the water or the water into the salt? Don't laugh...if you add the water to the salt-the ph drops so low that the calcium precipitates out. (It will eventually be re-absorbed).

I always have at least 5-10 gallons of RO water with a good pump circulating the water when I slowly add the salt. This usually keeps the white powder from forming.

ticocuban
10/17/2008, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13565220#post13565220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuzy
anthrax

jk i have no idea. But i sthink it's undisolved salt. Some just don't dissolve. i had that with instant ocean and oceanic.

+1 on the anthrax!!!

Patience, let the tank cycle the water.