PDA

View Full Version : UV glass broke?

Sullyman
10/18/2008, 12:08 PM
I had one of the glass UV shields shatter over my tank.
I had my reef screen on top so only a few pieces of glass got in the tank but I'm guessing it blew Thursday night. I didn't see it til last night, bad back attack, and can see corals that show signs of damage. I replaced the glass last night but are the corals in big trouble from a day with no UV shield or will they recover?
Time will tell but curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and if so, how did it turn out?

Freed
10/18/2008, 12:18 PM
I'd say to keep the lights off or very well dimmed-over for at least a few/several days to let them recover.

NanoReefWanabe
10/18/2008, 04:30 PM
corals in the wild are exposed to UV light all day long...it seems strange that we are afraid of it getting into our tanks...

i am sorry i cant address your question better...i know some people have posted pics befor of corals showing signs of something i cant explain, only for the poster to exclaim cracked bulb or UV glass "burning" the coral...not sure i know what to say though..

i would certainly give your tank a reduced light schedule and see what happens...not sure it will help or hurt...

Freed
10/18/2008, 04:39 PM
Seems to me numerous people have lost untold numbers of corals because their UV shield broke on their DE bulbs. I would think UV is less of a concern on the reef as the amount of UV they are getting is scattered from having to travel 93 million miles compared to blaring MH giving off high doses of UV from only having to travel a couple/few feet.