PDA

View Full Version : HQI parabolic Reflectors?

pf1130
10/18/2008, 02:36 PM
Are these reflectors any good? I am considering using them in an upgrade for my 65's (36"x18"x24") lighting (2x 150W HQI).
http://www.aquacave.com/150w-metal-halide-hqibr-parabolic-reflector-with-lens-1536.html

jd474
10/18/2008, 05:14 PM
In short, not really IMO. Like most other stuff in this hobby, you get what you pay for. As far as reflectors, I have seen a lot better results with the Lumenarcs and Lumenmax brands. There is very little wasted light, and the PAR values on my 400s went up by 100 points from a parabolic to the Lumenmaxs I recently got. Plus my coverage is much better/efficient with the newer reflectors. They are a lot more expensive, but if you're already paying for that light and the elec. to run it, I would try to save/use as much of it as you can.

Lo0seR
10/18/2008, 08:35 PM
They are on sale right now at customaquatic for $25 each, I have the 250's in that reflector and I love them. I have PFO's,Lumenarcs,Lumenmax, really to be honest I have had them all at one time or another and I was really impressed with these, if you want a halide look and shimmer in your water and could careless about things like PAR and wasted light you cant go wrong.