PDA

View Full Version : Showing off my onyx babies and their anemone.

LisaJill
10/19/2008, 01:30 PM
So, I got these babies from Rod right before the announcement that he would no longer be selling to the public. I just wanted to share - I have them in my main display. They did not immediately go into my RBTA, and I did not want to make my babies think they were going to get eaten, so the picture theory was out.

Instead, I "fed" them into the anemone. Turned off powerheads (they were struggling with the amount of current in the tank) and used a turkey baster to lead/focus feed them across the tank and into the anemone. They happily followed the baster/feed. The larger one went into the anemone to get food, the smaller followed, and there they have stayed.

The anemone shielded them from the current so powerheads were turned back on. Everyone seems to be doing extremely well. Here's a picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/2939611571_b6e97b264c.jpg

and there are more here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/namrah/tags/reeftank/) .

This picture was taken immediately after they entered the anemone. It's now been a few weeks and so far their color is just as dark as when I got them, but of course they are very, very, very small. If they don't seem to come into their full onyx coloring them I may try with a different anemone. But they're doing great with this RBTA and the RBTA is also doing great. So I'm quite pleased. =)

seafansar
10/19/2008, 04:44 PM
Beautiful!

a4twenty
10/19/2008, 05:15 PM
they're so tiny, awesome pic, great looking nem :)

cpoll86
10/20/2008, 07:23 PM
so nice

GSMguy
10/21/2008, 11:06 AM
Beautiful congrats.

LisaJill
10/21/2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys =) As an update, the babies are more than happy to eat any flake food I put into the tank. They get Rod's food at least once a day, but I have been giving their second feeding with some flake, on some days. I feed 2-3 times a day since they're so young. And honestly, with their size, the amount they eat is such a small bio load, and I have no other fish, that the tank can easily take a few more feedings.

Water change this weekend, though. I used to have a few tanks with breeding trios of various cichlids, and while I wouldn't remove the babies a few would usually avoid their parents cannibalistic trends, and I'd be paranoid about siphoning out those babies. Thankfully I pull water out of the opposite side of the tank from where the anemone and clowns live, so it should be easy to just pay close attention and be careful. ;)

rkelman
10/21/2008, 03:52 PM
They look great. Your lucky your Feeding them to the anemone didn't kill them though. It usually takes time before they are immune to the stings of the anemone. They could easily become anemone food.

LisaJill
10/21/2008, 04:05 PM
I was aware of that as a danger, but as I understand it, Rod even used to ship the babies with the anemones so I believes that to be taken care of.

And I didn't feed them to the anemone, I led them to the anemone using food. I realize my wording was probably a bit misleading, but I had hoped everyone would get the idea. =)

topher oner
10/22/2008, 04:15 PM
I had to play "where's waldo" for a second there but awesome pic! They're so tiny!!!

I wish I could have purchased a couple from Rod first hand! Good luck with them!

Also, I've heard a lot about Rod's food, how would I be able to purchase?

LisaJill
10/22/2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, if you look at the other photos on Flickr it's a real Where's Waldo game. Even I had to with some of the photos.

I got the food from a local LFS here that has it in stock. Rod's Food has a store locator:

http://www.rodsfood.com/lfsmap.php

that should help. =)

rkelman
10/22/2008, 05:38 PM
I understood that you weren't actually feeding them to the anemone :) I was just pointing out for others that its a very risky move to force/lead/scare or otherwise get clowns into to an anemone before they have an acclimatization period. You see storys like yours that work out well. Other times you see posts like "my haddoni ate my clowns!" I'm glad it worked out for you. They look great.

LisaJill
10/22/2008, 06:01 PM
Well, they had every opportunity to get away from the anemone, at some point they would have tried it, or such would have been my hope. I'd rather have them try that under my watchful gaze where I might have a second where I could intervene if things went badly.

But you are right; there is a risk, though I am not sure if that is increased due to their size. I was aware of the risk at the time. I believe from the picture's of the parents that they live in an anemone, so I thought there was a greater chance that this would work out. Perhaps misinformed, but I am happy it did work out. =)

FIREFISHPAT
10/22/2008, 09:52 PM
Awesome looking onyx. Best of Luck. Are you going to sell a few. I would buy two if your looking to sell. I just miss Rod selling his fish . I just figure to ask..

LisaJill
10/22/2008, 11:17 PM
Oh man, well, I guess it's at minimum a year before I have to make that decision. They still have to figure out gender (I don't think one is female yet, though 'tis possible) and actually decide to pair. Then mate.

So we'll see later. =)

MM WI
10/23/2008, 04:49 PM
Very Nice, is that RBTA as it as huge as it looks??

My thought on the danger of coaxing them into the anemone is that this is exaggerated. I have seen clowns that were in a tank for a long period with no anemone jump right in with no problem. Is this suggestion because of the small size of the young clowns this is a greater risk. I would be surprised if a healthy clown of any size were eaten by an rbta. A clown that was heath compromised in some way, diet or other could be at risk. Maybe this is greater for a small tank raised clown. It would be difficult to duplicate all of the subtle components of a natural diet in a captive bred.

- mark

LisaJill
10/23/2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, the RBTA is massive.

There was a moment when the smaller one went in that the anemone hugged it with one of its arms (lack of appropriate terminology here), but it either let go or he shrugged it off. I was pretty close to reaching in and intervening myself, but held back, and I'm glad I did. The clown itself never looked in the least bit concerned - no panic or anything.

Oh, and I refer to the smaller one with two stripes as he, and the larger one with one stripe her; but I do not believe they are yet mature enough for that to be a real call.

I spend hours and hours in front of that tank, watching the clowns. It's really one of the most relaxing and entertaining adventures I've undertaken.

InsaneClownFish
10/23/2008, 06:41 PM
Yup, rkelman, had a good point especially with an RBTA that large. It's funny, when I first read your post I was worried that you had literally "fed" them to the anemone :p

Congrats and continued success. Beautiful animals.