PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about swithing chemical filtration

Tc269
10/19/2008, 04:30 PM
Ok I am currently running Drs F&S Phospure pad and chemipure for my filtration. Would I be better off swithing to a dual reactor from bulk reef supply and running bulkreefsupply carbon and GFO. And what would be the advatages or disadvantages. I would like to hear any opinions Thanks
Tony

DarG
10/19/2008, 04:46 PM
Reactors are supposed to be a bit more effective because water is forced through the media.

I dont know anything about the phospure pads, but the Phospure works GFO that the Dr's sells works fine. That said, I use both the carbon and the GFO from bulk reef supply. Its good stuff. I dont run carbon continuously though. Just a couple days maybe once a month or so. I run it in a home made "reactor". Just PVC tube with a small powerhead ... effectively forces the water through the carbon. For the GFO, I run it continuously in a TLF reactor with a Minijet 606.

Eventhough the reactors are more efficient ways to run carbon and GFO, I cant say that you are going to see any different results. If the Phospure pads are getting the job done and keeping your phosphates at 0 and the carbon is keeping the water clear, then the method you are using now is working fine. I used to run the carbon in a media bag and it did take any slight tint of color out of the water that way as well although I am sure it does so faster in the reactor.

Basically, if things are working as you have them now, then you would be "modernizing" by going with reactors, not necessarily going to see an improvement, as I said, if it;s working the way you are running them now.

Tc269
10/19/2008, 05:01 PM
OK make's sense That way. I guess If i am not having a problem dont switch, but I always like to try new things to see if they help. one last quick question why do you only run carbon only a coulpe days out of the month?

DarG
10/19/2008, 06:26 PM
I only use it to keep any color out of the water. Im an old timer and back in the old days it was said that carbon removes some trace elements along with the good that it does so I have never used it on a constant basis. I dont know if that has been proven to be an old wives tale now or not. Just stuck in my ways with some things and using once or twice a month for a couple of days has always worked for me so I stick with it. If it aint broken, dont fix it kinda thing I guess.

Tc269
10/21/2008, 12:34 PM
anyone else have any opinions or does he hit it head on

Tc269
10/29/2008, 02:03 PM
Well my other big consern is cost. A pad lasts me maybe a month and a half to two months and cost 30 dollars and the chemi pure is 11 dollars every other month so I though it would be much cheaper to run the Bulk reef supply?

DarG
10/29/2008, 02:22 PM
I know you would like some other opinions but I would just go for it. It wont take you long to make up the cost of a TLF reactor and some bulk GFO if it is costing you 30 bucks for a GFO pad that you have to replace every couple of months.

Check out the bulk reef supply GFO reactor. It costs about the same as the TLF . It is a filtration canister and a DI refillable container set up for use as a GFO reactor (or carbon reactor). Has all the fittings and included a cool john guest type adapter that fits the output of the maxi jet pumps and other powerheads with the same output size and type. The only downside that I can see is that it looks like it requires a larger powerhead to operate than the TLF reactor. But it is much heavier duty contruction. If I was looking for a reactor right now, I would buy that one instead of the TLF unit.

Just food for thought.

Tc269
10/29/2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/popup_image.php?pID=679&image=0
it this the one you are talking about cause this is the one I was thinking about?

DarG
10/29/2008, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13644274#post13644274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tc269
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/popup_image.php?pID=679&image=0
it this the one you are talking about cause this is the one I was thinking about?

If I were running carbon 24/7 then yes, the dual would be the way to go. Thats the one. They have a single as well.

Tc269
10/29/2008, 02:46 PM
yea i know I do run carbon 24/7 thanks I just needed someone to push me and say duh this is going to be cheaper in the long run thanks

DarG
10/29/2008, 04:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13644389#post13644389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tc269
yea i know I do run carbon 24/7 thanks I just needed someone to push me and say duh this is going to be cheaper in the long run thanks

I figured you needed a shove :D

But 30 bucks every couple months for phosphate pads is crazy ... you will definitely save money in the long run. Actually, it will all pay for itself pretty quickly relative to what you are paying now for those pads. The Chemipure is another story. If you switch to regular carbon, you'll save more there as well. I dont know if you are planning on staying with the Chemipure or not. I can tell you that I have used it before a good while ago and saw no benefit over a good carbon. But even with just the phosphate itself, you will save money in the end. No doubt.

Good luck.