PDA

View Full Version : acclimating corals

woogy
10/19/2008, 07:35 PM
This is the first time I will be acclimating corals.

Should I do the float method or the drip method?

How long for each?

Also I hear that you have to rinse them off?

And finally should I wear gloves?

abulgin
10/19/2008, 07:45 PM
I always drip acclimate my corals. I take a 5 gal bucket, fill it with tap water that's the same temp as my tank, drop a spare heater in there, and then place the bag in the bucket (i use duct tape to fasten it to the side). Then I drip water in-you want a slow drip--drip . . . drip . . . drip . . . drip. 2 hours. Then give it a bath in system water and Lugols or MediCoral (Brightwell), rinse and place. I don't wear gloves-- I just wash my hands.

Flipper62
10/19/2008, 07:46 PM
First...what corals ??

I just dump out some water from the bag, from the LFS.

Then add a small cup...like 8 oz of my tank water to the bag. Then add more every 1/2 hour for about 4 to 6 times. For a total of 2 to 3 hours. However the whole time keep the bag floating in the tank water to get the water temp the same.

After that.....take the coral out & place it where you want it.......Then your done...:dance:

woogy
10/19/2008, 08:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13579632#post13579632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
I always drip acclimate my corals. I take a 5 gal bucket, fill it with tap water that's the same temp as my tank, drop a spare heater in there, and then place the bag in the bucket (i use duct tape to fasten it to the side). Then I drip water in-you want a slow drip--drip . . . drip . . . drip . . . drip. 2 hours. Then give it a bath in system water and Lugols or MediCoral (Brightwell), rinse and place. I don't wear gloves-- I just wash my hands.

How long do u rinse them?

Flipper62
10/19/2008, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13579632#post13579632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin

Please say that you are only using the tap water to float the bags in....to get them up to the corect temperature

NOT using Tap water in the tank......

abulgin
10/20/2008, 07:14 AM
I actually use a pressure washe connected to my faucet to blast red bugs off :p

Read my post. I fill the BUCKET with tap water and then place the bag IN the bucket. Keeps the temp IN the bag constant while the system water drips IN the bag.

OP-the length of the bath is per the instructions on the bottle. Depends on the type of coral. 10 min for SPS, 7 min for LPS and 5 min for softies. I then just turn the coral upside down in the bath and swirl it around for a few seconds--that is my rinse.

Some people don't even acclimate corals.

woogy
10/20/2008, 02:51 PM
Lol! Hate those red bugs ;)