PDA

View Full Version : yellow watchman and peppermints?

fishguyjosh
10/20/2008, 09:25 AM
so i have some aiptasia in my tank, some may be an understatement, so ive been trying to add peppermint shrimp to my tank. current tank residents are a tomato clown, scopus tang, pj cardinal, yellow watchman and a royal gramma. about a month ago i added 5 peppermints. 3 of which died within 48hrs due to a speedy acclimation and the other 2 where never seen again. yesterday i bought 4 more peppermints but this time drip acclimated them so i wouldnt lose any. this morning when i woke up i did a visual search for any peppermints and none were to be found. i have around 60lbs of live rock soo there are sufficient hiding spots and its completely possible they are all just hiding out since they tend to do that especially in a new tank however upon looking at my yellow watchman he seems to be alittle larger in the belly than normal. ive seen peppermints kept with watchman without a problem but im sure the temptation is great. my watchman is around 2.5-3in. what are the chances he indulged in a little midnight snack.

Amoore311
10/20/2008, 12:05 PM
I saw my watchman eat a peppermint shrimp before. I've seen watchman eat some crazy stuff tbh.

FWIW my watchman is about the size of yours, and the peppermint shrimp was very small maybe about 1/2". I've had bigger peppermints that he left alone. I've also seen him eat those very small hermit crabs.

Funny story, I was watching a presentation by Adam Blundell. He had a picture of his watchman gobie that tried to eat his jawfish. The jawfish was to big and basically suffocated the watchman and they both died.