PDA

View Full Version : 6 gal bow front nano

1DeR9_3Hy
10/20/2008, 02:18 PM
Hey all, i am waiting for my funds to come together for a bigger tank i am setting up. But until then i would like to setup a smaller tank. I have a 6 gallon that was given to me, i also have a small rio powerhead and i just pieced together a 12" light (two 9" PC 50/50 bulbs, so 26 w total). I plan on using a very basic berlin method for filtration (use two powerheads for flow, then do 20% changes every friday...no skimmer other than the changes). I figure i could fit 10 lbs of LR in this tank, and then also anoth 4-5 lbs of LS which i could then later seed my larger tank with whenever i get it setup.

Does this sound like it should work? Keep in mind, no fish maybe a crab or a snail or two. Also i might try to keep some low light softies in it after a month or so if everything looks like it is holding up and staying steady.

Reecers
10/20/2008, 03:17 PM
sounds fine to me man, just make sure you watch your levels and dont rush things

spsfreak
10/20/2008, 10:14 PM
You will be fine. I have a 3g pico that has several SPS in and I don't use a skimmer. it is setup just like what you have indicated that you are planning to do. I do a water change every week, feed everyday, and add phyto every third day. Tank is rock solid as far as I am concerned.

HTH, GL

1DeR9_3Hy
10/21/2008, 09:34 AM
Thank for the help guys, i am having some trouble finding a way to mount the light i have (i have the same one as you SPSFREAK). I am thinking of just abandoning it all together and trying to find something that will work. The tanks top dimensions are 13X7, so if anyone can think of a light that is that small let me know.

Anyways, i dont need a light to cycle right? What if the rock is fully cured, then will i need a light?

harleychic
10/21/2008, 10:08 AM
I have a 2X16w 12" fixture hanging by chains over my 3 g pico

spsfreak
10/21/2008, 10:49 AM
1DeR9_3Hy, just order the legs that they sale on there site. My tank is only one inch shorter than yours length wise (12") and the legs that you install on the hood will work fine on your tank. Here is a link to them: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_78_92&products_id=1339
They only cost $10.00 and they work fine for me; the other option would be to hang it with something as already mentioned.

1DeR9_3Hy
10/21/2008, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13590037#post13590037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spsfreak
1DeR9_3Hy, just order the legs that they sale on there site. My tank is only one inch shorter than yours length wise (12") and the legs that you install on the hood will work fine on your tank. Here is a link to them: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_78_92&products_id=1339
They only cost $10.00 and they work fine for me; the other option would be to hang it with something as already mentioned.

Those legs just screw into the housing, replacing one of the screws on the end of the light with a longer one to accomadate the leg correct?

spsfreak
10/21/2008, 01:01 PM
No, they have a tin\metal piece that slides into the grove on the front and back of the light, the screws that come with the legs then just screw the leg onto the piecethat is in the grove; once tighten they make a nice tight sturdy legging. If you aren't sure what I am talking about let me know and I will post apic tonight when I get home.
Matt