PDA

View Full Version : am i justified in hating my fluval 304??

edshern
10/20/2008, 08:31 PM
I have 2 fluval 304's and I hate them both.
To get them started, I beg, plead, shake, pump, hold it higher, lower and top off water.
They are the most finicky pieces of equipment I have ever owned, of any kind.
Is there a solution, beyond just pitching the things and trying something new?

Victoria
10/20/2008, 08:38 PM
Yes,
make a quick connect so you can remove the output line from the tank. When you have cleaned it and are ready to start it again have the input line in the tank and suck on the output line. this save lots hassel. Its a poor design no way around it!! And don't remove the connection at the top of the pump or one day it will break and **** you off even more. If you have it on a reef tank just remove it and put 2 phos reactors on one with phosphate remover and the other with carbon. Hope this helps

edshern
11/06/2008, 10:21 AM
any one else have any ideas on how to start the flow on a fluval?

GSMguy
11/06/2008, 10:25 AM
i would just ditch the canisters you have a reef tank. why leave those nitrate factories hooked up?

Michael
11/06/2008, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13692790#post13692790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i would just ditch the canisters you have a reef tank. why leave those nitrate factories hooked up?

thats exactly what i was going to say, just get rid of them

sanababit
11/06/2008, 11:33 AM
I used to have a fluval and took it off line because it was spiking my nitrates, if getting rid of them is not an option then use live rock, carbon and remove the sponges....anyways about your problem, are the canisters sitting on the bottom of the tank?, is it up high?, do they have quick connects?, everytime i used to clean it i would shut off valve and it keeps the lines primed so it starts pulling water a lot faster, use the priming plunger on the side of the quick connects, put filter under aquarium so it creates a siphon, these are just some ideas that come to mind......

sana

Sugar Magnolia
11/06/2008, 11:33 AM
I had one and couldn't stand it. I switched to a Rena Filstar which I haven't had a problem with. Canisters are only nitrate factories if you let them become one. With regular cleaning and replacement of media I see no reason not to use one.

Michael
11/06/2008, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13693270#post13693270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sugar Magnolia
I had one and couldn't stand it. I switched to a Rena Filstar which I haven't had a problem with. Canisters are only nitrate factories if you let them become one. With regular cleaning and replacement of media I see no reason not to use one.

but why run 1? they can be useful for running carbon, and on tiny tanks useful for adding water volume, but with sumps and reactors readily available they are far from essential and with a reef just not needed, i do agree with your comments but are just not required for most folks running reefs today:)

HiJacK
11/06/2008, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13692790#post13692790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy

+1

Save yourself all the headaches and work and get yourself a sump and run your system the proper way. If you're on a budget, there's a couple of diy sump projects on the forum made with rubbermaid containers.

d0ughb0y
11/06/2008, 01:58 PM
I just got a brand new one from ebay for $65 shipped for use on my freshwater tank.
I do have to say that I had problem with the priming pump (no suction) at first.

All I did was remove the rubber part (looks like a suction cup, actually, I think it is a suction cup), and I folded it back and held it for a minute or so, so when you let go, its circumference will be a bit bigger, hence will create suction when you pump. I put it back and just a few pumps and I can hear water coming down. I do think that part should have been designed better, but otherwise, a good filter at a good price.

Sugar Magnolia
11/06/2008, 02:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13693534#post13693534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
but why run 1? they can be useful for running carbon, and on tiny tanks useful for adding water volume, but with sumps and reactors readily available they are far from essential and with a reef just not needed, i do agree with your comments but are just not required for most folks running reefs today:)
My tank's only 30 gallons so it does at a few more gallons of water, plus I run Phosban and chempure in there rather than in my small HOB filter that basically just add flow to the tank. I have no sump. (sigh)

pledosophy
11/06/2008, 02:23 PM
If you close the valves it is easier to reprime them. Also filling them the cannister with water after you have cleaned it will help out a lot. Doing both should make it plug and play. I used to clean my 304 once a week and repriming was most often not an issue.

When it was I put a MJ 1200 in the intake hose and just pushed the water in, worked like a charm.

JME

d0ughb0y
11/06/2008, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13694199#post13694199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sugar Magnolia
My tank's only 30 gallons so it does at a few more gallons of water, plus I run Phosban and chempure in there rather than in my small HOB filter that basically just add flow to the tank. I have no sump. (sigh)

doesn't phosban require a slow flow to tumble the media? or is that GFO?