PDA

View Full Version : Photos of aquariums divided into one shallow and one deep section?

Henry100
10/21/2008, 04:34 AM
Are there any?For example one section could be 12'' deep,while the other one 24'' deep.

BeanAnimal
10/21/2008, 07:15 AM
Henry, you appear to spend a lot of time trying to come up with odd aquarium advice, configurations and methodologies...

While there is nothing wrong with doing something like that, it poses many challenges in tank and stand construction and aquascaping, not to mention the fact that in many instances it would just look silly. I would venture to say that most people do not see a benefit and do see the aesthetic problems. I would imagine that the only place you will see similar setups is in large public aquarium displays where such a design can follow an irregular floor plan.

amstar
10/21/2008, 08:11 AM
I saw it at a local fish store. the left side of the tank had sand (not sure what he had under the sand) piled 20" then mangroves coming out of the middle with live rock around the mangroves and various little islands.

then there was a live rock wall (slanted) thin piece of plexi-glass or something to keep back all of the inverts/small fish from "deep end" in the deep end he had various fish such as a lion fish, red snapper, tangs.

really cool setup

not_sponsored
10/21/2008, 02:40 PM
This is a pic taken by one of my friends at the last reefapalooza, not quite sure how it's set up but it definitely looks cool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/spleen93/Fish/rap/RAP2008-11wtmk.jpg

Henry100
10/21/2008, 02:48 PM
I came up with this idea while trying to find a way to put peaceful fish and predators in the same aquarium.I admit that I had first seen this aquarium plan in an aquarium book which is written in English.It is the plan of an exhibit of a public aquarium,so I didn't thought it myself.I imagine putting gobies in the shallow side,while putting lionfish,cuttlefish or frogfish in the deep side.This could help the peaceful fish to survive(when the shallow side is really too shallow for predators to come in).But even if the peaceful fish can't survive,it would be funny to see a predator entering the shallow side or a peaceful fish entering the deep side where a predator is ready for an ambush!

mboos
10/21/2008, 04:27 PM
I have been reading many books and following many of the discussion boards within reef central for some time now. Granted, I am still and have been for some time in the planning stages of a FOWLR, but I fail to see the humor in your peaceful fish being "ambushed" by the predatory fish. Prior to that comment, I thought you had a fairly good idea, but that changes everything!

svynx
10/22/2008, 11:03 AM
It follows the same line as people who keep mantis shrimps. You feed them live food...snails, crabs, and fish for the spearers. It's entertaining to see a beautiful animal in captivity acting like it had never been taken from the great blue pond. And I must admit, I have to laugh sometimes when I watch videos of mantis, or anglers, or any of the other ambush predator fish take in a meal. It's fasinating to watch them do what nature intended them to do.
Having said that though, I can see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

Henry100
10/22/2008, 01:12 PM
The most difficult part of maintaining such an aquarium should be water circulation.As for the humor,I think there will happen very funny situations,between peaceful fish and predators,which can't happen in a regular type of aquarium.