PDA

View Full Version : Mystery crab appeared

SaltSolutions1
10/22/2008, 08:25 AM
I have two crabs that appeared out of nowhere yesterday. I was reaquascaping my tank and one crab was attached to the back of the rock I picked up.

I noticed another very small one on a rock this morning.

The 1" one was nipping at my GSP this morning. I scared him away from it but I'm worried the two new crabs are not reef safe.

I stuck a tall piece of tupperware in the tank with a clip tied to a lead weight inside. On the clip I attached a cube of emerald entree(mysis,brine, and some other stuff I feed my fish) as well as a piece of silversides.

what do i do? how do I id these critters?

Aquarist007
10/22/2008, 09:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13596609#post13596609 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltSolutions1
I have two crabs that appeared out of nowhere yesterday. I was reaquascaping my tank and one crab was attached to the back of the rock I picked up.

I noticed another very small one on a rock this morning.

The 1" one was nipping at my GSP this morning. I scared him away from it but I'm worried the two new crabs are not reef safe.

I stuck a tall piece of tupperware in the tank with a clip tied to a lead weight inside. On the clip I attached a cube of emerald entree(mysis,brine, and some other stuff I feed my fish) as well as a piece of silversides.

what do i do? how do I id these critters?

here is a good site to id them:

www.melevsreef.com

there are many species of crabs--and many that are not mixed reef safe
"when it doubt--take it out" ;)

SaltSolutions1
10/22/2008, 05:11 PM
bump for evening traffic

Tylt33
10/22/2008, 05:45 PM
When in doubt, get them out. Very few crabs are reef safe. Some people go by the motto "If it has hands, it doesn't go in my tank." Google mantis shrimp traps; they should work for crabs.