PDA

View Full Version : Starting Rots from cysts (FAF)

jbrinker
10/22/2008, 11:11 AM
My false percs have not started laying again, but I am hoping that they will soon. So, I now have gallons of nano bubbling away, and am trying to start rots from eggs. I have two packages from FAF, and have followed the instructions correctly I believe.

I used clean, aged, sterilized salt water (1/2 strength - same as the nano). I placed about an ounce in a cleaned petri dish, placed under a light and waited 24h. Nothing swimming (I see eggs, thats all). I added a little nano, just enough to tint, at 24h as directed. Waited another 24h and nothing yet.

The only thing I have not got exactly right is the temp - its about 72 rather than the 77 they recommend. I think I will pick up an old-style clip on light tonight, and put a 60w bulb over them (should raise temp and provide more light).

Any advice? Am I just being impatient?

Jeff

MYDRAAL
10/22/2008, 03:36 PM
Is this their S strain? If it is, mine were already going when I received them, even though they were just the (cysts). Try a larger container and have your bubbles going slowly(1-2 a second). I would also get some heat to it as that should speed up process. GL

NirvanaFan
10/22/2008, 05:03 PM
Mine took a while to take off. Maybe a week???

Keep tinting the water. They'll wake up eventually.

timthetoolman
10/22/2008, 09:08 PM
They might just need time to hydrate but the light to warm it up a bit should help.
If you need live, try Seahorse Source (http://seahorsesource.com).

billsreef
10/22/2008, 09:41 PM
The cooler temps can make it take a bit longer.

jbrinker
10/23/2008, 07:25 AM
I moved them to a small tupperware container, added about a cup of water, and moved them to "float" in my fry tank. The water in the fry tank is 80F, so the rot water in the tupperware should hit 80 too.

This morning I checked, and it looked the same. I swirled it up to mix the nano, added another few drops to be sure it was "lightly tinted green" and returned it to float in the tank.

Have to see what happens. I assume once they wake up, the water will rapidly clear?

Jeff

jbrinker
10/24/2008, 06:39 AM
Woo hoo! Just had to check in. The rots hatched - I checked this AM and was thinking nothing had happened (water still tinged green). So I poured a bit into the petri dish, and looked with a magnifier. I saw eggs, eggs... Oh, what's that, cool! I have living rots!

So, I added a little more green, and a little more water, and put it back in the tank for heat. Tonight it will be 5 days, and I will move them to a larger container and start to slowly lower the temp. (FAF book says high temps are less stable). I think I'll shoot for an eventual temp of about 75F.

I now have a TON of really dark good-looking nano, hopefully in another week I will have a ton of rots too.

Now, if the clowns would just get it together....

Jeff

MYDRAAL
10/24/2008, 04:09 PM
It's less stable in higher temps because they multiply faster. As long as you keep (trimming) them out, this will give you a larger culture in less time. If you ever need a larger culture faster, just raise temp.