PDA

View Full Version : Anemone

NaztyStang3121
10/22/2008, 12:29 PM
Hello, again:

when is agood time to buy an anemone for my tank. I told you guys that my water is around 83deg. Is the good for the anemone....i had one for the 2 clownfish but it die. I didnt know that you were supost to feed it. know i got more knowledge. And which one will be good to start with

jtreefdweller
10/25/2008, 09:46 AM
What lighting and what size tank? Entacmea quadricolor (bubble tip anemone) is probably the easiest to start with. You should feed them 2-3 times a week, fresh fish, shrimp, scallops, krill, silversides, squid, octopus, really any meaty fare.

Althea2you
10/27/2008, 07:11 PM
6 month old to a year old tank (anenomes need very stable water parameter).. high lighting.. like Metal Halides's, and usually feed once a week or so, like the above suggested foods...but seeing your tank is only a couple months old... i would suggest waiting on the anenome seeing as one has already passed on you. wait for your tank to mature!

1337TANKHAX
10/28/2008, 12:34 AM
id agree that the bubble tip are the easiest to start with, just make sure that you keep your temp from fluctuating more than two degrees every day, and keep up on water changes. nems need pretty high water quality to thrive, as does everything else.

spw4949
10/28/2008, 09:04 AM
I would definately wait until your tank has been up & running for at least 6 months(I learned the hard way). I added a bubble tip after about 2 months and at first it was smooth sailing but after about 2 weeks it was all downhill. Do yourself (and the anemone)a favor and be patient. What kind of lighting do you have?

Airwolf75
10/30/2008, 01:29 AM
See if you can get a captive raised Bubble Tip, easier to care for.

NirvanaFan
11/01/2008, 11:05 PM
83 degrees is great for a Bubble tip anemone. In my opinion, they should be kept at or close to 84. There are many people (including myself) that believe that having temperature fluctuations are good. The variation of 3, 4 or 5 degrees daily will make them have a greater chance at surviving if your tank temperature goes up or down a lot because of a power outage, or a heater getting stuck on.

You need fairly strong lights for all anemones. I would use VHOs, t-5s or metal halides for bubble tip anemones.

Also, I think you should wait until you have at least 6 months experience with salt water tanks before getting an anemone. I don't think its a water parameter issue. It's a personal issue. After 6 months, you really get to know your tank. You know what the temperature should be at a given time, you know how you maintain calcium and alkalinity, how much top off water you go through, get in the routine of changing water, and many more things.