PDA

View Full Version : Breach that drywall!

RokleM
10/22/2008, 03:08 PM
On the drywall behind my stand/200, I'll be bringing pipes into the wall and down to the basement (1-2'). I have a few ideas in my head, however I'm not finding many products, pictures, or anything else showing completed installs for this type of setup. I'm looking for any ideas you guys have.

Only three stipulations:

1) Has to look relatively clean, even though it's behind the stand.

2) I need enough space to get probably 1x 3/4" feed, 2x 1-2" drains, and an electrical line or two (ballasts, battery backup, etc in the basement). Pipe will likely be spaflex.

3) Most importantly, this wall is an "external" wall facing the garage and open air into the basement. I'd like to seal it as much as possible on the inside wall, but not make it impossible to work around (i.e. getting power cables up occasionally).

Ideas?

No issues btw going through the subfloor or 2x4's or anything inside the wall on the way down. The walls by the tank have ducts going upstairs in the same walls, so I have a clean shot straight into the basement.

http://mad-skillz.com/aquarium/09.06.2008-5.jpg

billdogg
10/22/2008, 03:16 PM
i used 6" pvc slip connectors for my holes in the wall - a little bit of silicone arond the edges - they look they were meant to be there!
left me plenty of room for 2 - 2" , 2 - 1" (drains), 3 - 3/4 (returns) and gobs of space for electrical.

RokleM
10/22/2008, 03:18 PM
Is that straight through a wall, or into the wall and down inside the wall?

hllywd
10/22/2008, 03:32 PM
ow about a recessed plastic washing machine hookup box? It would already be set up for a 2 1/2" drain and have knock outs intended for hot and cold supplies. You could use a quick connect fitting for the return(s) and use a flexible drain line into the box just like you would a washing machine. In case there was ever a need to disconnect the entire system nothing would be hard-plumbed...

For the electric you could add a second box and use the drain fitting as a conduit to guide the electric lines and plugs.

I've already thought about this should I ever do the same thing...

HTH,
Tim:cool:

(posted this on the CORA forum too...)

defib
10/22/2008, 10:33 PM
billdogg that's a slick idea. I might just have to make a run to the HD.

billdogg
10/23/2008, 06:59 AM
tks defib - it even passed the "wife test"! LOL

Rokiem - that is straight through to my fish room. since you are going down, if it is big enough, the washing machine hookup would be a nice clean install, but at least in my case, i'd be forced to use like 5 of them. (may not pass the "wife test")???

cjilge
10/23/2008, 07:36 AM
Just my two cents. But what about a dryer duct for going down into basements on interior walls? I helped my Brother inlaw install one last year. They have a "i believe" 4" round opening at the wall that make a 90 deg down into a 3" x 8" rectangle box that is adjustable and slides into each other. He picked it up @ HD The opening had a white face plate that snapped on after your drywall was finished. It looked pretty good and would give a ton of space. You could use two if needed one for the "wet stuff" and one for electrical.

Good Luck
Chris

RokleM
10/23/2008, 07:45 AM
We had some discussions in the local club forums about this as well. The best idea I think so far is a slight combo of the above.

Multiple installs of the "low voltage" (cable, network, etc) after construction boxes, rugged face plates, and a grommet and/or bulkhead in the plate. hllywd had a good example from his projector install. Double size boxes would work well also. One or two for electrical, one or two for plumbing.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/hllywdz/oHIOsTATEVSmINNESOTA092708.jpg

defib
10/23/2008, 08:29 AM
Right now I just have a "hole in the wall" and I'm getting sick of looking at it.