PDA

View Full Version : New Tangs

brayden
10/22/2008, 04:17 PM
I have recently set my 135g back up from my move. My sailfin has been in for close to a week now with different aquascaping than before. I would like to introduce a powder blue and possibly a yellow or a sohal into the system. What is the best way you can think of to do this?

ReefEnabler
10/22/2008, 04:29 PM
IMO your tank is way, way too small for a Sohal. My 220 is way too small ;) I think a 300+, preferably 500+ is what you need for a Sohal.

brayden
10/22/2008, 04:39 PM
OK so what about the others?

ReefEnabler
10/22/2008, 04:43 PM
I wish I could provide a reliable answer, but I am only just about to add my first Tang - a powder brown - into my own tank. I just happen to know that sohals get huge and tend to be aggressive so thought I would mention what I DO know. If you take a fish that is already somewhat aggressive (or very aggressive depending on the individual), and then house it in a tank that is too small.... that's a good way to make the fish very aggressive.
I'll be waiting along with you to see what others say.

One trick I read from another RC member is to put up a small mirror to the tank when you add another tang. They say the tang might start attacking the mirror (thinking its another same-species threat), and get out its aggression that way. I can't say if it works though.

RobNJ
10/22/2008, 05:06 PM
a kole would be good and maybe a yellow - look for the tangs that require less tank size

edsbeaker
10/22/2008, 05:45 PM
Hi,
I think this is a pretty good general guide for tank size vs. tangs.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=739380

I can't help much with how many you can keep in a 135, I'll leave that to the more experienced reefers, but at least this may be a starting point to help you narrow it down to the ones to consider. Good luck.

JustinReef
10/22/2008, 05:57 PM
I think this is a very good list of some common tangs and tank size:

1. Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
2. Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
3. Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
4. Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
5. Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
6. Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
7. Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
8. Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
9. Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
10. Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
11. Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
12. Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l).
13. Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
14. Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l).
15. Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
16. Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
17. Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
18. Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
19. Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
20. Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
21. Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
22. Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).

Its probably on the smaller side for all the tang police around here though. I would say that it also depends on how many you are keeping in the tank. This list is great if its just one tang in the tank (along with other species of fish) but if its more than one, this list may not be the best guide. As stated above, you need really big tanks to keep more than one or two. I would say in your 135G you go with one of the medium to large tangs and a smaller one like a yellow or a kole.

dones20
10/22/2008, 06:28 PM
sailfins can get pretty agressive ime so becareful with any additions of new tangs. but to answer your qustion the yellow and the kole would be fine as long as you dont get any larger size ones stick to smalls or med with this size tank

returnofsid
10/22/2008, 07:28 PM
Funny, this is the second post I've read of yours asking the exact same question. Must not have liked the answers you got on one so started another. That's WAY too much tang for that size tank. The Sailfin alone will outgrow that size tank quickly.

tkeracer619
10/22/2008, 07:38 PM
What type of skimmer are you running?

The sailfin is a large tang, eventually it will probably get too big and aggressive.

If you have a powerfull skimmer you could add 1 or 2 smaller tangs. Personally I would keep it to 3 or less tangs in that size tank. Check out the yellow mimic and tomini tangs. both are smaller and very stunning.

Sohals and powder blues are very aggressive fish. I would leave them for a larger system.

Rascal1371
10/22/2008, 09:30 PM
Don't try to add two tangs of the same genus. Unless you have a huge tank (big enough to have a school of yellows, for example), they will fight and one will die. You already have a sailfin, so that rules out a yellow. On the other hand, a yellow would be a much, much better choice for you.

It sounds like you really want the Powder Blue and I don't blame you, they are beautiful fish. So get one of those and then trade in your sailfin for a Yellow or a ctenochaetus (Kole, Tomini).

The Powder Blue + Yellow would make the happiest combo IMO and happy fish make for happy fishkeepers.

brayden
10/22/2008, 10:04 PM
tkeracer619: Here is the link to the skimmer I am running now. It's an RK-2 with a Sedra 7000. This thing is awesome. Had it six months and I will never use another skimmer.

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=PS-RK01100-00

brayden
10/22/2008, 10:06 PM
returnofsid: So I should probably get rid of my sailfin cause it will outgrow my 135 gallon tank?

brayden
10/22/2008, 10:08 PM
Rascal1371: That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. From what people have been telling me, I have to keep odd numbers of tangs. Do you think if I changed out my sailfin and got those 2 it would work? What about a Powder Brown and Atlantic Blue?

MileHighFish
10/22/2008, 10:34 PM
tang police!! thats true about R/C.. a friend has a 135 he keeps a sohal, sailfin, valliming (spelling?), and a kole plus other fish.. this tank has been up for several years,, the fish dont fight, i doubt they will grow to thier full size.. i'm not here to say this is a great idea... but he has made it work..

burton14e7
10/22/2008, 11:57 PM
A mimic lemon peel is dope and I had him in a 120 with my purple tang.

paintballer768
10/23/2008, 04:30 AM
I remember reading that the Powder Blue/Brown tangs are known "ich-magnets." I would recommend you keep a close eye on it for a few weeks, to prevent ick from getting in your system and funkifying it all up.

Good luck

john rochon
10/23/2008, 05:40 AM
G STONE, you haven't got a clue as to how big or aggressive some of these tangs get. your info about your friend whos torturing those fish doesn't help here.

that list of tangs and tank size is out to lunch. having kept basically every tank on that list I can tell you that anyone that puts a SOHAL,NASO,ATLANTIC,ACHILLES in anything less than a 8 foot tank is wacked.
because your friend has managed a few years doesn't mean its right. those tangs will pollute a tank that small and eventually all hell will break loose. been reading these type of posts for years now:rolleyes:

MileHighFish
10/23/2008, 11:17 AM
john rochon, read my post.. like i said "i dont think this is a good idea" i'm just reporting what i have seen..

Ricecakeguy
10/23/2008, 10:46 PM
I say just do it so that way it give you a reason to buy a bigger tank when it grows out of your 135 :)

brayden
10/24/2008, 08:36 AM
nah, good idea but my 135 fits in a perfect spot in our new house. If I bought anything bigger I wouldn't be in such a perfect spot and I wouldn't be in our house either.

john rochon
10/24/2008, 08:41 AM
G,STONE, then don't even mention it because it DOES give people newer to this hobby false hopes/ideas.

BRAYDEN, you've only mentioned the sailfin, what other fish do you have? the SOHAL is a terrible idea but a beautiful fish
yellow and kole not so bad depending on bioload.

brayden
10/24/2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I've decided against the Sohal and the other ones I'm not too sure of. I have a foxface which I think I am going to get rid of. The only other big fish I have is a porc puffer, although he is only about an inch and a half right now. Then there is about 8 assorted small fish that will not get big. The smaller ones will not stay in this tank. They will most likely go to a smaller reef as I have set this one up as a FOWLR. Plus once puff daddy gets bigger they are at risk.