PDA

View Full Version : Adding limewater via ATO....

patsfan1130
10/23/2008, 06:39 AM
Hey all. looking for some input

I am a old dog and sometimes it is hard to teach me new tricks.

I have always dripped my Kalk very slowly via an aquadose or something similar. But I must admit, The thought of adding it directly from my topoff resevoir (5g capacity) is appealing as it would much easier. (I know...lazy). anyway. My autotopoff adds approx 1 gallon per day to my sump and I would estimate the most it adds at one time is approx 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup. so I want to simply keep the resevoir filled with limewater add it via my topoff.

I am sure I am probably ok but wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks in advance

Mark

crvz
10/23/2008, 06:43 AM
The one issue with putting limewater in a reservoir, as I recall, is that it can precipitate pretty quickly if not covered well. When in solution, it will react with CO2 from the air and can essentially become useless. So the question is, how is your reservoir set up, and how often do you fill it?

patsfan1130
10/23/2008, 06:55 AM
I hear you there. I fill it once per week and keep it covered with a lid. It's a very simple setup. I use a salt bucket with a hole cut in the lid for the hose.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/23/2008, 06:58 AM
Adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup at once to a 120 will be fine. 1% of the tank volume (say, 1 gallon) would not be as it will instantly boost pH by about 0.6 pH units.

Just be sure you have good flow through the sump so it does not sit around in a small sump allowing precipitation of calcium carbonate. :)

I've dosed limewater via a dosing pump for more than 13 years. :)

patsfan1130
10/23/2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks Randy. It's amazing when you have done something a certain way for so long it can be almost scary trying something different and even when you practically know you will be ok you just needs to hear it from someone else.

Much appreciated. as always

Mark

wolf pup
10/23/2008, 07:07 AM
[edited as it took too long for me to write] :)

I would imagine you will be fine. Just don't stir the bucket. Also make sure your pump draws from a bit off the bottom so there is no chance of it pulling paste. You want it to draw the clear stuff. I use the top off method from a trash can and have checked the ph with a portable meter now and then and don't notice any changes over the course of a week. HTH