PDA

View Full Version : alkalility problem help!

zephyrmiasma
10/23/2008, 08:08 AM
I overdosed calcium (Seachem advantage calcium) earlier due to faulty/ out of date API test kit
then my alkalinity dropped substantially...

now i'm trying to raise my alkalinity back up by dosing 2 teaspoons of Seachem reef builder dissolved in RO/DI every night. how ever my alkalinity won't get past 7kh...

Here is my current readings with new salifert test kits.

Calcium = 430ppm
alkalinity = 7kh
mag = unknown
PH 7.6 - 7.8 (also trying to open windows a lot to try and help PH)

i'm trying to get alkalinity to around 11kh... but can't get past 7kh
HELP!

fishysteve
10/23/2008, 08:19 AM
I think you need to find out what your magnesium is.

newclean
10/23/2008, 08:42 AM
You are adding carbonate alkalinity to the system, but no change in alkalinity measurement means that its precipitating. Get your magnesium in check before adjusting calcium or alkalinity, because mag is responsible for allowing such high concentrations of calcium and alkalinity. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

nikkipigtails
10/23/2008, 08:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you want your alk to be ~11dkh? Natural seawater is ~7dkh.

Magnesium is also an important component of the calc/alk relationship. So keep in mind that magnesium should be in the 1250-1350ppm range (natural seawater is 1280ppm).

zephyrmiasma
10/23/2008, 10:10 AM
i'm using a calculator. it says the balanced proportion to calcium at 430ppm is around 11dkh.

and i'll get magnesium sorted out going to get test kit for that tommorrow

nikkipigtails
10/23/2008, 12:17 PM
Check out this article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

zephyrmiasma
10/24/2008, 11:18 PM
i brought new sera magnesium test kit today
and the test kit gave 1260 ppm for Mg

So i don't think it is magnesium problem...

Still can't raise dKH up help!

Garage1217
10/24/2008, 11:29 PM
I usually keep my mag in the 1400 range.

jdieck
10/25/2008, 12:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13604495#post13604495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zephyrmiasma
i'm using a calculator. it says the balanced proportion to calcium at 430ppm is around 11dkh.

and i'll get magnesium sorted out going to get test kit for that tommorrow
The balanced proportion shown in the calculator; which for 430 ppm of Calcium is not 11 dKh but 9.7 dKh (3.5 meq/lt) is only a reference to Ca and Alkalinity being in the same proportion to natural sea water. In other words, if you have natural sea water starting with calcium at 410 ppm and alkalinity of 2.5 meq/lt and you add 20 ppm of calcium to it, then you will need to add 1 meq/lt of alkalinity to maintain it in the same proportion as the NSW level as for every 1 meq/lt you will need 20 ppm of Ca to precipitate both quantities at the same time.
Basically"balanced" does not mean much in our systems, you can maintain calcium anywhere within the recommended levels of 380 to 450 ppm and alkalinity within 7 to 11 dKh without the need of one "balance the other".
Having said that I personally target around the middle of the range calcium at around 420 and alkalinity at around 9 to 10 dKh in case testing variability gives upper or lower errors.

Now regarding your question, assuming the total net water in your system (ex vol displaced by rock and sand) is around 110 gallons, adding two teaspoons of Seachem reef advantage will add approximately 1 dKh which is a typical daily consumption, so in summary, unless you are using additional alkalinity supplementation, the amount you are adding of Seachem is most probably only enough to maintain your level and not to increase it.

Try doubling the dose to 4 teaspoons per day and test alkalinity every other day.

goochesfish
10/25/2008, 12:22 AM
Keeping a lower dKh decreases the likelihood of precipitation on pumps, heater, and other equipment. As long as your corals are happy it should be fine. Mine is at 8, Ca at 425, Mg at 1400

zephyrmiasma
10/25/2008, 12:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13616301#post13616301 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdieck

Now regarding your question, assuming the total net water in your system (ex vol displaced by rock and sand) is around 110 gallons, adding two teaspoons of Seachem reef advantage will add approximately 1 dKh which is a typical daily consumption, so in summary, unless you are using additional alkalinity supplementation, the amount you are adding of Seachem is most probably only enough to maintain your level and not to increase it.

Try doubling the dose to 4 teaspoons per day and test alkalinity every other day.

never thought i would need so much alkalinity... only have like 5 pieces of LPS and 2 SPS and 1 clam... but every rock in my tank is completely covered in coralline.

anyway i'll try and double my dosage of alk and test again and also i'll raise mag to 1400ppm and see how it goes...

if all this dosing fails, do yous think i would need a calcium reactor?
so sick of dosing already...

jdieck
10/25/2008, 01:26 AM
You need and test to establish your normal consumption o you can establish regulas addition.
Supplementation method depends much on your preference, you could use any of, Kalk dripping, Two part solutions or a Ca reactor. I will suggest you get familiar with the benefits and limitations of each to make your decision.