PDA

View Full Version : Pump issue?

matt 76
10/23/2008, 08:45 PM
I posted this in the 180 forum but it may get more views here.
O.k here goes I have a 180 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump 3 250 watt radiums and 4 vho's. I am having a heating issue where my 1/4 hp chiller seems to even run at night. I also have 3 5" fans in my canopy blowing out the hot air. I think the heat may be coming from my hammerhead pump I run for a closed loop. It feels hot to the touch, so it must transfer heat through the impeller housing and also from the shaft causing it to heat the water. My return pump is a blue line 55 it seems to run fairly cool-just kinda noisy. The only other pump I have in the water is my skimmer pump which is a pacific coast ps 3000. Just giving all posible needed info. Now I have been looking a different methods for water movement, im looking at korallias right now. The tunzes and vortechs are nice but are a tad bit to expensive for me right now.So I guess what I'm getting at is, should I go with a couple of koralia's or replace my hammerhead with a dart or snapper?
Koralias just seem cheaper to run and buy, why don't people like them as well as tunzes or vortechs? At 4.5 watts each versus 423 watts for a hammerhead...........ummmm
I guess I should mention I run my tank at 77 to 78 degrees. It's not overheating. It's just working my chiller too much.

sjm817
10/23/2008, 09:45 PM
It well could be the pump. it would be easy enough to find out if it is the culprit. Turn it off and see if the temp issue goes away.

Yes, powerheads are far more efficient. The reason people like Tunze and Vortechs are among other reasons, they are controllable. The larger korallias are not. You could get a korallia 7, or 8 or two an see how it goes.

Toddrtrex
10/23/2008, 09:50 PM
You could also bump up the temp of your tank. IMO, your temps are on the low end. I keep my tanks b/t 78 and 83.