PDA

View Full Version : Fish TB

pooroliver
10/24/2008, 09:00 AM
Hi, I'm new to this site and started my membership because after my fish died mysteriously I learned there was a good deal I did not know about the care of my fish. i still have one surviving fish (Freckles) who I want to take care of.

My fish Oliver had been loosing his gold color for the past month but I didn't think much of it. Then 2 days ago I found him upside down (still alive) stuck in the filtration system. I got him out and moved him to another tank but he shortly died and I buried him.....

However, while cleaning the tank for my other fish I didn't know to wear gloves and I scraped my hand- and I think my fishes' tail actually poked me at one time- not real sure about that- not positive anyways- but the next day I had a small bump on my pinkie where some inflammation was and now it's gone away and left a sore hand with it....

Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't have fish TB? At first I thought he died due to tail rot from his tail getting caught in the filter system and him getting away- but he looked pretty bad..

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 09:07 AM
[welcome]

yes, wear gloves:

this happened to me two weeks ago

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1488507

pooroliver
10/24/2008, 04:18 PM
Yea, well now I know to wear gloves but I still wonder if it's anything to worry about. I'm not sure what killed my fish but I looked up different diseases and Fish TB can pop back up like 2 years later. I had two cuts on my other hand from a mishap in printmaking, but it was my right hand that showed inflammation...

I heard also fish TB was pretty common.

pooroliver
10/24/2008, 04:31 PM
what do you guys think was wrong with oliver?
He had been losing color but I didn't think much of it, I thought he was just losing color as he aged..
i think he had some fin rot, because his tail I noticed looked kinda torn up, but I didn't think something like that could have killed him. And then I think he just got incredibly weak because I found him trapped in the filter system- his fin was caught. And so at that point all his fins were torn up and he was all white, still breathing, but it was odd I thought that all his scales seemed to be messed up- like they were all shedding at the same time.
I felt bad for oliver. And I didn't realize there was so much to know about taking care of my goldfish. I had had them both for three years without any problems.

So I changed all the water out and put a different filter in that wasn't so powerful (more gentle). I still have Freckles, the other fish, and now it's like every day I inspect him to make sure he isn't changing. I actually think under his front fins he's a little inflamed and red but I don't know what it means!!

I cleaned out the whole tank but I didn't know to use bleach, I cleaned the rocks I had the best I could, but I didn't have new rocks.. he's on a diet, I'm not going to feed him for 2 days and then he's getting peas the rest of the week until I can get some better food than these flakes I've been giving them since I got them.

And how important is lighting? Because he doesn't have a lamp over his tank and I could spare like 30 dollars for it but dude I'm a host...

Kdocimo90
10/24/2008, 04:32 PM
could be a few things.

lets start with..

what are your paramters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc...)
Have you been doing water changes? If so how often?
How old is your tank?

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13613817#post13613817 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
could be a few things.

lets start with..

what are your paramters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc...)
Have you been doing water changes? If so how often?
How old is your tank?

I believe we are talking goldfish here--not marine fish;)

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 07:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13613811#post13613811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pooroliver
what do you guys think was wrong with oliver?
He had been losing color but I didn't think much of it, I thought he was just losing color as he aged..
i think he had some fin rot, because his tail I noticed looked kinda torn up, but I didn't think something like that could have killed him. And then I think he just got incredibly weak because I found him trapped in the filter system- his fin was caught. And so at that point all his fins were torn up and he was all white, still breathing, but it was odd I thought that all his scales seemed to be messed up- like they were all shedding at the same time.
I felt bad for oliver. And I didn't realize there was so much to know about taking care of my goldfish. I had had them both for three years without any problems.

So I changed all the water out and put a different filter in that wasn't so powerful (more gentle). I still have Freckles, the other fish, and now it's like every day I inspect him to make sure he isn't changing. I actually think under his front fins he's a little inflamed and red but I don't know what it means!!

I cleaned out the whole tank but I didn't know to use bleach, I cleaned the rocks I had the best I could, but I didn't have new rocks.. he's on a diet, I'm not going to feed him for 2 days and then he's getting peas the rest of the week until I can get some better food than these flakes I've been giving them since I got them.

And how important is lighting? Because he doesn't have a lamp over his tank and I could spare like 30 dollars for it but dude I'm a host...

if the goldfish got sucked into the filter system then it probably died from internal injuries and or stress.

goldfish in fresh water are like damsels to us in marine reefkeeping.
They are a very hardy fish and can tolerate a higher then normal level of ammonia and nitrates.
In fresh water you have the advantage of being able to treat the fish in your display tank. There are many meds available for treating fungus, tailrot and even freshwater ich.

JCJHET
10/24/2008, 08:03 PM
Those are symptoms of fish TB, but also symptoms of many other diseases. Usually only individual fish is affected by TB , but others will succumb over a long period.
Keep in mind that TB is a bacterial infection and shows the same symptoms as internal fungal disease, fin rot (poor water conditions), or Dropsy.
Don't jump to conclusions, do more research and good luck to you!!

pooroliver
10/24/2008, 10:15 PM
Thank you for the posts. I had started to notice the other fish dropping to the bottom of the tank and I just didn't know why he was doing that, but I looked at him a while earlier and I thought one of his gills seemed real red and his first fin red underneath. Anyways I put him in a salt bath thinking he had some sort of gill disease. and now he's back in the tank.

And I do think it was there water conditions, I suppose I didn't know enough about filters but I'm watching Freckles pretty close and thank you for the input.

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 10:20 PM
what size of tank do you have and are you using tap water for water changes.
My son has an oversized Oscar in a 30 gal--I leant him(yah right he never gave it back) my UV sterilizer---it cleaned up his water really well.

JCJHET
10/24/2008, 10:40 PM
I know its freshwater, and I'm not sure if your pulling our leg!!!

If not, Is his mouth wide open, is the fish still??

Are his eyes cloudy??

CoRPS
10/25/2008, 12:05 AM
This thread smells like shenanigans. haha

ektor
10/25/2008, 06:44 AM
+1 on shenanigans

pooroliver
10/26/2008, 06:48 PM
no not a shenanigan, sorry guys I was away all day.
I use water from the tap, yes. I have this product for the chlorine so I use that on every gallon I put in but I've never waited a whole week before I put my fish back in. I also was unaware of how often I had to switch out some of the water. When I do switch out the water, in the past, I've switched out the whole thing! :/
And it's a relatively small tank I think it may be 10-12 gallons. Not huge, pretty normal sized, They've been the only two fish I've had and now it's just the one.

I guess the problem now is whether Freckles is going to get sick and die as well. His front fins seem to be inflamed at the point they connect to his body... I looked up a picture for gill disease and it looked like it was kinda just red under the gills...

And as far as lighting, they never had lighting.. I'm going to have to go to the store and talk to them about the importance of a hood with a light..

Just worried about the surviving fish- I guess if my hand goes all weird I'll deal with that lol