PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer & sump questions

Keith A
10/24/2008, 03:56 PM
I have a 75 gal reef tank with a trickle filter made for a 150 gal tank. The trickle filter is made by Aqua Clear Aquatics and has a skimmer as part of the filter. I've had the tank running with this filter for a little over 5 years now and really haven't had any problems with it. I do have a couple questions though.

1. When I look at the skimmer, it still produces a lot of bubbles in the main column but it is pretty sporadic on producing foam or sludge in the top cup. Almost to where it doesn't produce any. Is this normal for an established tank? I'm running a very light bioload right now which may be part of it and the water looks fine. Very little algae but some brown diatoms though on the bottom of the tank. I'm also running a phosban reactor with phosguard in it. Corals seem to be growing still.

2. If I wanted to switch to a sump and use an old tank for it, what size tank would you recommend for a tank that is 75 gal? 10, 20, 30 gal? Is there a skimmer for under $100 that anyone would recommend to go in the sump?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith