PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a new tank friend

Salt H2O Guy
10/24/2008, 06:58 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum and new to salt water. I recently started a 110 gal show DT, It's fish only to start. I have about 60lbs of LR and 30+lbs Decorative rock to slowly convert to LR and a 3" crushed coral bed. I'm running a sump w/a oversized protean skimmer (G4), small amount of bio-balls and prefilter.
The tank cycled quickly, I added 5 green chromis, 10 hermites, an O clown and a small Hawk, eventually added a larger O clown, a yellow tang and a blue tang. The last three were from a friend's tank who was moving ( fish approx 6 mo. old)
Everyone is getting along fine....Levels are perfect. I'd like to add one or two showy fish perhaps that get a little bigger, but won't conflict with others. Any sugestions?
I was thinking perhaps an angel
Bluespot?
Yellow bar?

I welcome any coments on the system as well, The guys at my LFS all seem to have differant oppinions.
Thanks

abulgin
10/24/2008, 07:21 PM
Your tank is pretty jammed as it is, and I think you're at your max if not over your max. I don't think it would be wise to add anything else, especially not one of the larger angels. The Tangs will likely be a problem down the road. The Blue Tang will outgrow that tank quickly and need to be moved. The Yellow will get pretty big too, so he may not get along well with the Blue anyway. A 110 is a nice tank, but it's flaw is that it's too high. Besides being a pain in the butt to clean (I used to have one), it's not long enough to accomodate the Blue Tang or a large angel, which prefer a 6' tank.

I also question whether you have enough filtration capacity for the fish you have. You've got, or will soon have, a pretty big bioload, and 60lbs of rock isn't a lot to work with, although once the 30lbs gets seeded you'll probably be fine.

lkirkt
10/24/2008, 08:09 PM
Isn't running a g4 on 110 lots of filtration. I use a refugium myself and run a g3 on a 120. I do agree you are on the top end for population of fish though.

Hop
10/24/2008, 09:19 PM
[welcome]

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 09:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13614811#post13614811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
Your tank is pretty jammed as it is, and I think you're at your max if not over your max. I don't think it would be wise to add anything else, especially not one of the larger angels. The Tangs will likely be a problem down the road. The Blue Tang will outgrow that tank quickly and need to be moved. The Yellow will get pretty big too, so he may not get along well with the Blue anyway. A 110 is a nice tank, but it's flaw is that it's too high. Besides being a pain in the butt to clean (I used to have one), it's not long enough to accomodate the Blue Tang or a large angel, which prefer a 6' tank.

I also question whether you have enough filtration capacity for the fish you have. You've got, or will soon have, a pretty big bioload, and 60lbs of rock isn't a lot to work with, although once the 30lbs gets seeded you'll probably be fine.

I agree plus what does "recently mean" in terms of weeks for starting up your tank.
If less then two months then IMO you are rushing and given the amt of live rock you have --the bacteria have not cycled enough to support the bioload you have in there right now.

I am assuming decorative rock is base rock--if so it can take up to three months to cycle enough bacteria to be viable as live reef rock. so basically you are really you are far under the amt of live rock you need to handle this bioload

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 09:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13615066#post13615066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lkirkt
Isn't running a g4 on 110 lots of filtration. I use a refugium myself and run a g3 on a 120. I do agree you are on the top end for population of fish though.

a skimmer no matter how effecient can't take the place of live rock(IMO) You should have between a pound to a pound of fully cyled live rock in that tank before adding fish.
Ideally live rock and a skimmer work hand and hand with each other--live rock, a skimmer and possible a sand bed can be all the filtration you need for your tank.

The other consideration here is that of aggressiveness---if there are too many fish in the tank and not enough territory for the "preceived" needs of each fish--esp the tangs--then they can become very agressive towards each other and the other inhabitants.

Salt H2O Guy
10/24/2008, 10:38 PM
Started tank 2 1/2 months ago, had a small cycle with cured rock, added chromis two weeks later. Levels good, waited two weeks added 2 fish, etc. yesterday added tangs, Amonia good. Non LR is starting to spot. I have 60 + lbs of LR in QT, but is infested with bristle worms, rather not add them to my DT. Could recatch tangs and put back in QT, but hate to stress so soon. I'll try to show a pic of my tank, but am having problems uploading.
Any sugestions welcome, thanks for your comments thus far!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/204457110_gal.JPG

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 10:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13615905#post13615905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Salt H2O Guy
Started tank 2 1/2 months ago, had a small cycle with cured rock, added chromis two weeks later. Levels good, waited two weeks added 2 fish, etc. yesterday added tangs, Amonia good. Non LR is starting to spot. I have 60 + lbs of LR in QT, but is infested with bristle worms, rather not add them to my DT. Could recatch tangs and put back in QT, but hate to stress so soon. I'll try to show a pic of my tank, but am having problems uploading.
Any sugestions welcome, thanks for your comments thus far!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/204457110_gal.JPG

Okay--great --but I would not add any more fish ect until the base rock has fully cycled and keep checking ammonia levels

for pictures:
go to www.photobucket.com and take out an album--its free
upload your pics to your album
under each pic will be four codes--select the fourth --the "img" code
paste this one in your posts and you get a nice pic like this:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/photobucket.jpg

Salt H2O Guy
10/24/2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks a million Capn, I'll keep close tabs on the levels... Thanks also for the pic advice!

Salt H2O Guy
10/24/2008, 11:20 PM
Much easier, Thanks http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/Saltwaterguy/110gal.jpg:)