PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Fish...

mccrat
10/24/2008, 09:39 PM
Hey All,

Over the last year I have watched my emperor angle (AKA Thumper) grow from about 1.5 inches to an amazing 5 inches (now fully into transition) and as each month passes he is getting more vocal. I have searched the web and have found very little information regarding this. He emits a low frequency thumping/vibration sound and seems to do it when he is annoyed or scared. At the moment, the noise is quite loud and is easily heard throughout the first floor of our house. I am guessing he is creating it from his swim bladder?

We are currently waiting for our 240g to be completed and am hoping to have it up and running by Christmas. I am sure this fish will continue to grow and am wondering just how loud this noise is going to get? Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this and if you have, do you know how the sound is made? I am assuming that we will just have to live with the noise...can't get rid of him now...it gives him character! :)

InsaneClownFish
10/24/2008, 09:58 PM
I haven't heard of this. I certainly sounds amazing. I do have a guess though. An adult large angelfish's natural territory in the wild can be as massive as 40 square miles. It's possible it's some type of rudimentary communication device....no quite eco-location, but a vibration from it's swim bladder.

Once again, only a guess ;) How loud will it get...I honestly have no idea. :) Keep us posted, this is fascinating.