PDA

View Full Version : help I have an injured hammer coral

Misslittlefoot
10/24/2008, 09:41 PM
I am fairly new at the saltwater aquarium hobby and I have recently been able to add some corals to my nano tank.

I was doing a water change and I have a black false percula fish in a 12 gallon nano tank and he is very territorial about the 3 corals I have in the tank...I was doing a large water change and placed the hammer coral at the bottom of the tank and began siphoning out the water.

I wasnt paying attention to my clownfish and he came up and knicked my hand startlng me...well it moved the siphon hose down just enough to knick my hammer coral and suck off some of the heads (although the entire thing still looks green and nothing is oozing)

needless to say my hammer is starting to open back up...but I dont want to be devestated and find him dead tomorrow...if part of it has died how do I save the rest of it or is a lost cause??

I have already lost one bubble anemone who committed suicide in my nano wave maker and I wouldnt want it to happen again. does any one know what I should do??

helplessly unknowledgeable about hammer corals.....

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 09:48 PM
[welcome]

the hammer might lose one of its heads but it will survive.

Aquarist007
10/24/2008, 09:49 PM
I am more concerned about the knick in your hand--if it breaks your skin then this is what could happen:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1488507

crvz
10/25/2008, 12:47 PM
Agreed, I don't think you'll see a large amount of loss by just damaging a few of the polyps on a head. Should recover without issue. Good luck!

Misslittlefoot
10/25/2008, 01:04 PM
I checked my hand and I dont seem to have any open skin from the fish but after seeing those horrendous pictures I am going out to buy a pair of gloves...I will heed your warning.

the hammer has opened back up...but the injured part is still receded into his crevice, but I will just wait it out for now....
thank you for all your help!!!

Aquarist007
10/25/2008, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13618518#post13618518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Misslittlefoot
I checked my hand and I dont seem to have any open skin from the fish but after seeing those horrendous pictures I am going out to buy a pair of gloves...I will heed your warning.

the hammer has opened back up...but the injured part is still receded into his crevice, but I will just wait it out for now....
thank you for all your help!!!

glad to hear you are getting a pair of gloves
you might lose a head on the hammer but new ones will grow back.