PDA

View Full Version : QT tank?

Moonstream
10/24/2008, 09:43 PM
I need to set up a QT tank snappy for a lameracks female angel. I am expecting her to be here around tuesday.

I have an extra 20L which I am planning to use, I also have some PVC tubes I can use, and I am planning to put on a HOB filter and maybe a koralia 1 if more flow is needed. I will also have about 10 lbs of rock in the tank.

my plan is to keep her in here until she starts eating readily, for a min. of 1.5-2 weeks (yes, I know this still has a risk for disease, if she is looking at all unhealthy, then she will stay in QT).

does this sound okay?

jenglish
10/24/2008, 10:13 PM
you know that 2 weeks isn't a guarantee on ich but you have identified this and are then OK w/ the risk I assume.

genereally I use BB for QT tanks. any rock or sand can absorb meds if you end up dosing anything for treatment and make keeping proper levels challenging. I would get the HOB on an established tank to start building up bacteria before using it as your QT tank filter.

JMHO :)

Moonstream
10/24/2008, 10:46 PM
if I do medicate, I would remove the rock beforehand, but since I dont feel comfortable w/o the rock, I am planning to keep it in there.

yes, I know 2 weeks is far from a guarentee on ich, but I usually dont QT, so it is far more carefuly then I usually am about these things.